All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how to play expansion team without success players
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:49 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
I have been playing alot over the last few months and have read most of the posts. I find everyone talks about strategies that will work with great players from success mode. I found these players over-powered and underpaid in the game. I have lately started focusing on winning with expansion teams.

Key 1: Good base team.
Some teams seem to give better base teams than others. I always pick the first as they draft first during first year. Look at the team after selection and see if you like most of the players.

Key 2: change the home field
the local ballpark is a great field if you like a homerun team and Pankaka Park (or whatever it is called in Las vegas) is great if you go for contact and speed as it has the bigest outfield.

Key 3: change the division
Sitch to american league (cause your pitchers usually can't hit) and put the 2 expansion and 2 weeker teams (tampa and pittsburgh are my choice). This will mean you can win your division without needing to have over a 500 record.

Key 4 sign free agent pitchers
There are about 4 ok fa pitchers - Rosario, Wright, Mota and Rosa (not sure of te name, check the stats).

Now decide how you want to play
Main problem with expansion teams:
They are weak at everything but all the players will become stars later in the game. There weakest area in terms of sim games is pitching stamina. After you sim a few games they are all exhausted. The hitters are not great but they will get a few runs the pitching will destroy you if you do not solve this problem. If you win the first season and you work with the f/a by dropping people who ask for too much and picking up lower priced you will win the rest of the seasons. The problem is that it is not easy to win the first season.

Practising:
I always start practising stamina for most pitchers as it needs to improve. Once this is better move them over to top speed. You need to start with the closers boosting speed.
Hitters should always use the all around bat. Take a coulple of speedsters to train speed for the 2 lead off hitters.

Option 1: Win the game with the computer simulating every game:
This is possible but you have to make alot of trades - give players and cash to upgrade your pitching first as the stamina problem with the original team will kill you. Then make some trades to boost power on positions your original team was week.

Option 2: Play almost every game:
In this option you don't need to trade soo much as the trading loses money and players that will learn better later. The original players are all like level 4 star draft picks - they learn fast. If you give them away the 2nd through 10 years will be harder. When playing go for home runs as this will unlock some of the bats for practising and will make abilities go up quickly.

Option 3: Play quick games and play most games:
This is a good balance and a fun way to play. Pick 1 hitter to bat with by choosing normal and then choose the pinch option for pitchers. This will allow you to pitch with runners in scoring position and allow you to try to get some homers with your best power hitter. In this option you can skip a few games and then when the pitchers are all sleeping play a few games to get their energy back. When you pitch conserve pitch count by letting them beat it into the ground. If you strike them all out your pitchers will still tire. No need to trade as you will be effective without sacrificing players that will be great. One problem with this mode is the player you pick to hit you will not be able to sign the next year. He does soo well that he usually asks for 30,000 as a f/a. Soo make sure to keep an extra player in that position.

Vicsphttp://s376.photobucket.com/albums/oo204/hockeyrama1/vic%20sp/
Ellisp, grandpaC,MadSP-no save /reload pitcher and Dylan CF/RF can be found through the main linkhttp://s376.photobucket.com/albums/oo204/hockeyrama1/

Post subject: Re: how to play expansion team without success players
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:12 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
hockeyrama wrote:
I have been playing alot over the last few months and have read most of the posts. I find everyone talks about strategies that will work with great players from success mode. I found these players over-powered and underpaid in the game. I have lately started focusing on winning with expansion teams.

Key 1: Good base team.
Some teams seem to give better base teams than others. I always pick the first as they draft first during first year. Look at the team after selection and see if you like most of the players.

Key 2: change the home field
the local ballpark is a great field if you like a homerun team and Pankaka Park (or whatever it is called in Las vegas) is great if you go for contact and speed as it has the bigest outfield.

Key 3: change the division
Sitch to american league (cause your pitchers usually can't hit) and put the 2 expansion and 2 weeker teams (tampa and pittsburgh are my choice). This will me
an you can win your division without needing to have over a 500 record.

Key 4 sign free agent pitchers
There are about 4 ok fa pitchers - Rosario, Wright, Mota and Rosa (not sure of te name, check the stats).

Now decide how you want to play
Main problem with expansion teams:
They are weak at everything but all the players will become stars later in the game. There weakest area in terms of sim games is pitching stamina. After you sim a few games they are all exhausted. The hitters are not great but they will get a few runs the pitching will destroy you if you do not solve this problem. If you win the first season and you work with the f/a by dropping people who ask for too much and picking up lower priced you will win the rest of the seasons. The problem is that it is not easy to win the first season.

Practising:
I always start practising stamina for most pitchers as it needs to improve. Once this is better move them over to top speed. You need to start with the closers boosting speed.
Hitters should always use the all around bat. Take a coulple of speedsters to train speed for the 2 lead off hitters.

Option 1: Win the game with the computer simulating every game:
This is possible but you have to make alot of trades - give players and cash to upgrade your pitching first as the stamina problem with the original team will kill you. Then make some trades to boost power on positions your original team was week.

Option 2: Play almost every game:
In this option you don't need to trade soo much as the trading loses money and players that will learn better later. The original players are all like level 4 star draft picks - they learn fast. If you give them away the 2nd through 10 years will be harder. When playing go for home runs as this will unlock some of the bats for practising and will make abilities go up quickly.

Option 3: Play quick games and play most games:
This is a good balance and a fun way to play. Pick 1 hitter to bat with by choosing normal and then choose the pinch option for pitchers. This will allow you to pitch with runners in scoring position and allow you to try to get some homers with your best power hitter. In this option you can skip a few games and then when the pitchers are all sleeping play a few games to get their energy back. When you pitch conserve pitch count by letting them beat it into the ground. If you strike them all out your pitchers will still tire. No need to trade as you will be effective without sacrificing players that will be great. One problem with this mode is the player you pick to hit you will not be able to sign the next year. He does soo well that he usually asks for 30,000 as a f/a. Soo make sure to keep an extra player in that position.

Very Interesting, I might try that. I find myself giving many players that I don't really need to the other expansion team in my game (I'm an expansion team where every player is a sucess player with the exception of wang, webb, 2 decent/below average relivers, and crawford from trades.)

- When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
- When asked if he wanted a pizza cut into 4/8 slices, Yogi responds with "Better cut it into 4, I don't think I could eat 8."
-Always go to other peoples' funerals otherwise they won't go to yours.
-I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
-In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
-It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.
I'm on vacation for about a month.