Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: San Jose Riptide - The Franchise
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:35 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Paul McCartney15 wrote:
Man this log looks really good so far.

Thanks, Paul! Going to do my best to keep this entertaining.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:53 am 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Tide go "wild": sign closer Rick Vaughn

San Jose- Today, the Riptide have announced they have signed former Cleveland Indians pitcher Rick Vaughn. The signing of Vaughn by the tide is certainly an intriguing one. On one hand, San Jose has gotten themselves a closer with plenty of potential; a strike out type pitcher and a 100MPH fastball. On the other side, Vaughn's control is awful. While he is a strike out type pitcher he also has the ability to walk or hit a few batters first, something pitching coach Chet Steadman will have to help Vaughn improve on.
Not only is Vaughn's control on the field an issue, his control off the field could also be a major issue.
Before pitching for the Indians, Vaughn was in and out of trouble all throughout college and eventually ended up serving time for petty theft before being released to pitch for what was then a rebuilding Indians team. After being sent back to the minors in his third year, Vaughn was arrested for grand theft auto and promptly released by the Indians. With such a propensity for getting into trouble, it's a wonder why the Tide even considered signing this guy.
"He has talent, that's the bottom line," Said Tide GM Al Percolo. "we just need to keep him out of trouble."
That job will fall to manager Jimmy Dugan and Jake Taylor, who played with and managed Vaughn in Cleveland.
"I have talked to both Jimmy and Rick and Rick knows he has to stay out of trouble." Said Jake Taylor "We just have to keep Rick focused on baseball and he will be fine." That sounds all well and good, but what happens when distractions are unavoidable, say the first time the team finds themselves in New York. "He is going to stay in a hotel. With me. In New Jersey."
"I love having Ricky on board, he throws hard and he's a competitor out there, " said manager Jimmy Dugan before smiling wickedly and saying "Besides, the control issues aren't necessarily a bad thing for a guy that throws that hard. A batter will never know whether the next pitch is going to paint the outside corner or paint the bridge of their nose."
When asked if he can stay out of trouble at his introductory press conference, Vaughn looked quizzically at the question and simply replied "Depends. What is your definition of 'trouble'"

I wanted to give Vaughn Fat Pitch, but I never gave players red abilities before, so I skipped it and just gave him awful control. As far as movie closers go, this was a no brainer. As a starter, Rick was terrible in the movies, but as a closer he kicked a**!
Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn-CL-R
DOB: 6/18 (25)
MPH: 101
Stamina: C-82
Control: G-96
BRK1: CHG-1
Special: DR.K, Battler, Fastball Life, Power Pitcher

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:54 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '07: Don't Own
Favorite Japanese title: (Vita) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
Wild Thing, you make my heart sing. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:48 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
Console '07: Don't Own
You make everything groooooovy. :D

Inaugural Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:53 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Tide get CF Hays from Cleveland farm

San Jose- The Riptide got them selves a quality center fielder and leadoff hitter today by signing former Cleveland prospect Willie "Mays" Hays. Hays played two seasons with the Indians before spending the last year at AAA Columbus and was another player left unprotected in the recent expansion draft. While Hays can play either center or left field, manager Jimmy Dugan will play Willie in center.
"Center is an important defensive position and Willie is a good defender and has the speed to run down anything." The signing of has also made another decision that much easier for Dugan, as he is now free to put Benny Rodriguez at shortstop. "Benny will play short, definitely."
On a conference call with the media, Hays says he is happy to be back in the bigs and starting, "This is a great opportunity for me to play everyday and help make a difference." When asked about playing with his former teammate Rick Vaughn Willie was enthusiastic, "I love Rickey. He's a little out in left field; no really, that's where the bullpen is, but he's a fantastic pitcher and I look forward to playing with him again."
The most important asset Willie has is his speed; which is blazing.
"Willie has the ability to come right in a cause some serious havoc on the bases," said bench coach Jake Taylor "I'd say he's good for 45 steals or so."

This was another no brainer as far as defense and speed goes and was the only choice for me as a center fielder. Hays was a bit of a showboat, hence the D level error resistance and he was never a great contact hitter so he gets a 7. But the speed is key and he will be a great leadoff hitter.
Willie Mays Hays - CF/LF-R/R
DOB: (24)
Trajectory: 2
Connect: E-7
Power: E-90
Run Speed: A-14
Arm Strength: D-9
Fielding: C-10
E-Resistance: D-8

Special: Stealing, Base running, Infield hitter, Table Setter, 2nd POS/LF

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:07 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
Can I be his agent? I promise I'll yell at him!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:32 am 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

He's all yours AnthonyP. Just make sure he keeps the ball on the ground :D

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:53 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
We'll see...

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:43 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Dunne deal: Tide get left handed pitcher Ryan Dunne away from Phillies

San Jose- Riptide GM Al Percolo announced today that the club has acquired left handed starting pitcher Ryan Dunne from the Philadelphia Phillies. San Jose was able to acquire Dunne when Philadelphia declined and option and Dunne became a free agent. Philadelphia attempted to resign Dunne to a larger contract, but signed with the Tide because he will immediately be inserted into the Tide rotation; Philly had planed on sending Dunne back to triple A Scranton for at-least another season.
"I feel like I'm ready to start in the majors now and San Jose gave me that opportunity," said Dunne from his home town of Chatham Massachusetts. "I enjoyed my time in the Phillies organization and thank them for the opportunity they gave me. But, I'm starting over here in San Jose and I'm really excited to be going there."
Dunne isn't the only one that is excited. Manager Jimmy Dugan was happy to have a good young pitcher and, according to him, his staff ace. "Ryan's a heck of a pitcher and he will be our number one. He has a great fastball, a good curve and a couple other pitches he can also mix in to keep hitters off balance. His control may need a little work but, I don't think any pitches he throws will find the press box."
"Pitching and defense wins championships," said Percolo, "and, while we may not win one this year, having Ryan gives us a top of the rotation type of guy that we feel will be a good pitcher in this league for a long time, and will eventually help us win a World Series"
Dunne played in the prestigious Nantucket League right out of high school, and had a good summer compiling a 5-2 record and a sparkling 2.14 ERA. Dunne was then signed by the Phillies and played three seasons between single A Lakewood and Lehigh Valley. Dunne never started for the big club, but had a pretty good minor league run going 28-12 in 60 starts.
Ryan Dunne -SP-L
DOB: 3/8 (21)
MPH: 93
Stamina: A-177
Control: D-134
Drop Curve: 3
Cutter: 2
2 Seam FB: 1
Special: Recovery, Vs. Left handed batter, Groundball Pitcher, Fastball Life, Strong Finisher, Consistency
For those of you scratching your head and going "Who?" or "Hey, you made him way to good," Let me explain. This character was played by Freddie Pirnze Jr in the Movie "Summer Catch" (Hello Jessica Biel!), and played for the Chatham A's of the Nantucket League (A real league). His stats, aren't that far fetched. At the end of the movie there is a scout watching him pitch and talking to someone on his cell phone. He tells the other person on the line that Dunne is throwing 93and has a good curveball. I would also think that for a lefty that threw 93 and had a good curve, I would think that there was no way he was made a reliever and I would bet he would learn to throw a couple more pitches to really be effective.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:56 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
We watched that movie on the bus on our Class Trip this year. Biel was the reason it was watched.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

post count doesn't matter

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:46 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Tide strengthen pitching staff; acquire minor leaguer Kenny DeNunez

San Jose- San Jose Riptide GM Al Percolo has announced today that the team has acquired minor league pitcher Kenny DeNunez in exchange for player to be named later. DeNunez has spent his entire four year professional career in the Reds farm system and has never played at the Major League level, but the team is not concerned about his lack of MLB experience.
"Kenny has a ton of potential and we are very happy to have been able to get him," said Percolo. "Kenny has a plus fastball and a few other secondary pitches that he has developed in his time in the minors."
Kenny grew up and played ball with another Riptide player, Benny Rodriguez.
"I'm excited to have Kenny here. He's can really help the team out and I'm excited to have him here."
"Kenny is going to slide right into our rotation, no doubt," said manager Jimmy Dugan "Along with Dunne at the top, we have a good 1,2 combination."
"Here comes the heater!"
Kenny DeNunez - SP-R
DOB: 9/5 (23)
MPH: 95
Stamina: A-165
Control: D-120
Circle Change: 2
Curveball: 2
2 Seam fastball-2

Special: Fastball Life, Poise, Recovery, Power Pitcher

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:47 am 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Tide make MLB history, break gender barrier by signing Rockford Peaches catcher and all star Dottie Hinson

San Jose- In the most significant baseball signing since Jackie Robinson signed with the Dodgers in 1947, the San Jose Riptide today have broken another barrier signing Rockford Peaches catcher Dottie Hinson to multi-year, major league contract. The talks between the Riptide and Hinson were kept quiet, so quiet in fact that no one even knew the two sides were talking till GM Al Percolo showed up to a press confrere, Hinson in tow, to announce the signing. The GM insists the move is no publicity stunt, and that Hinson will jump right in and be the teams starting catcher.
"Dottie is a fantastic talent. She is a fantastic defensive catcher, she is adept at handling a pitching staff and we fell she can also contribute significantly at the plate as well."
Indeed. Hinson entered the AAGPBL as an 18 year old right out of High School and, while she struggled her rookie year hitting just .252 and committing 17 errors in just 108 games, Hinson exploded in her second full season; hitting .316 with 20 home runs, 75 RBI's and committing just 2 errors. Hinson has played five years in the women's league and, excluding her rookie season, Hinson was an all start every year and has averaged .301/22/78.
Added Percolo "Obviously the competition is different in the major leagues, so we don't really expect Dottie to duplicate those numbers right away."
Duplicate those numbers?
"We believe that Dottie can become a power threat in the future and hit .300, just maybe not this year."
When asked about being the first female to play in the majors, Hinson was obviously excited.
"It is an absolute thrill. Growing up as a girl you never even think that you would ever have a chance to play at this level, that this could never happen. I'm just so happy to have this chance and really hope to inspire other little girls out there to accomplish their dreams."
Was Hinson ever offered a contract from another team?
"No, San Jose was the only team that offered me a contract." Hinson then smiled, caught the eye of her former manager in Rockford Jimmy Dugan before turning back to face the media adding "Besides, I don't think I would have accepted a contract from another team anyway. Busting Jimmy's chops and being a continued source for his annoyance on a daily basis is all I would needed to come to San Jose."
Dugan responded in kind to Hinson's barb by rolling his eyes and deadpanning "Your still a pain in my a--, Hinson."
When asked by the media if the two ever had a problem in Rockford, Dugan responded by saying, "Absolutely not… just as long as she isn't bothering me."
Dottie Hinson- C -R/R
DOB: 12/21 (23)
Trajectory: 2
Connect: D-9
Power: C-128
Run Speed: D-9
Fielding: C-10
Arm Strength: C-10
E-Resistance: B-12
Special: Spray hitter, Tough out, Clutch hit[4], Throwing, Great Catcher, Good block, Gold Glover, Durability
For anyone who has not seen A League of Their Own, definitely check it out; it was a fantastic movie.
Geena Davis' character in the movie, Dottie Hinson, was actually based on a player who played in the AAGPBL, Dorothy Kamenshek. Unlike Davis' character in the movie, Dorothy Kamenshek was first baseman and not a catcher; that's where the differences in the type of player they were end. Kamenshek played 8 seasons for the Peaches and had a career batting average of .292 and led the league in batting in back to back years in 1946 & 47 batting .316 and .306 respectively. Defensively, Kamenshek was also a wiz. Yankees first baseman once referred to Kamenshek as “the fanciest-fielding first-baseman I’ve ever seen, man or woman.” And, unlike most first baseman, Kamenshek could run… fast. In 1946, in just 107 games, Kamenshek stole 109 bases.
So, if anyone could transition from the AAGPBL to the majors, it would have been Kamenshek/Hinson.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:23 am 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

OK, so my original intention was to create 8 movie players, but I decided that the 6 I have already created are enough, so I’m going to stop here and prepare to start my season. However, I have a few housekeeping items to take care of first:

1. I changed owners; Roger Dorn out, Ray Kinsella in. Sam Malone is still here
2. Jack Elliot has been moved to my triple A team to be the manager. Roy Hobbs is now my new hitting instructor. (I originally had Hobbs as a player to create, but at 35, he was a little too up there in age)
3. Any other takers on agents before I post the remainder of my roster? The only agent I have is AnthonyP taking Willie Hays.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:29 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
I'll take Dunne.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

post count doesn't matter

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:38 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '08: Wii and DS
I'll take Benny Rodriguez and Wild Thing.

Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next