Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: San Jose Riptide - The Franchise
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:42 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Now that I got my shiny new Wii hooked up (for those of you who don’t know my old one went completely belly-up and I lost all my data) I’m ready to start up this new log.
Now, I did some thinking about what kind of log I wanted to make and, after reading current and some older, popular logs, I came up with an idea I hope everyone will like and be interested in following.
Before I get into my idea I’d like to give credit where credit is due and acknowledge the logs that formed the basis for my idea.

-Paul McCartney15’s Scranton Stranglers log was a lot of fun to read and using the old time musicians theme kept it fun and the storylines were very entertaining.

-Redsfan’s Reds log; I really like how everyone participated and helped come up with some interesting sub-plots

-ChiCubsFan4’s Royals log just for sheer length

So here it is:
I’m going to go with expansion teams, the first will be the Las Vegas Bandits; playing in Panpaka Park. Second, and the one I’m using, will be the San Jose Riptide; playing in Cisco Stadium (Camden Yards).
I’m going to use mostly the players that are given to me by the computer - though I will be editing their name - but I will be creating players, through Success Mode, that I’m going to be using as my core group. To keep it entertaining, I’m going to be creating characters from baseball movies to form my core group of players. I’m not going to tell you who they are right away (that would spoil the suspense) - yes I already know who they will be – but I will post them with a player profile and news clippings announcing their signing. Not only will I be using fictional players to form my core, but ownership and the coaching staff are also going to be fictional players and characters.
I did have certain criteria that I wanted to use on the players I created so some players you may be expecting to see won’t be here. With that being said, I’m sure I have picked some players you weren’t expecting to see either.

Post subject: Re: San Jose Riptide - The Franchise
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:59 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

San Jose- Major League Baseball announced today that the sale of the expansion San Jose Riptide was completed today. The team was sold to a group headed by former Boston Red Sox pitcher Sam Malone and former Cleveland Indians third baseman Roger Dorn. Malone and Dorn wasted no time getting started as they hired former New York Yankees scout Al Percolo as their new GM.
"When you are a new team starting out it is essential that you have the right people in place to find good young talent that can be brought along for the future." said Malone from his Boston residence.
"I'm excited to be a part of this young franchise." said Percolo from his new office in San Jose "We are currently in the works on bringing in a manager as well as signing some players that will be key to this franchises success."
When asked who those coaches and players would be, Percolo wasn't giving anything away, "We are bringing in the best people we can."
I guess we will just have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:57 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
Keep going. This is good.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:25 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Riptide name Jimmy Dugan manager, Jake Taylor bench coach

San Jose- In an unorthodox move today the Riptide have named Jimmy Dugan the first manager in club history. The move is surprising because Dugan has not managed in the big leagues or the minors in the last five seasons; but has managed the Rockford Peaches in the All American Girls Pro Baseball League (AAGPBL).
"Jimmy can be a little boisterous and hot headed, but he is a good manager and he has won a championship in the women's league, which means he knows how to win." Said team co-owner Sam Malone, "This is going to be a young team that will need some discipline and structure and Jimmy gives us just that. He is definitely the man to help our young talent along."
If Jimmy is the Ying, new bench coach, former Cleveland Indians catcher and manager Jake Taylor will most definitely be the Yang.
"I've played with and for Jake, he understands the game and how it is supposed to be played," Said co-owner Roger Dorn, speaking of his former mate, "He has a very level head and is very composed in tough spots; Sam and I feel he will be the perfect complement for Jimmy."

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:43 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '08: Wii and DS
Aww Sweet! Thanks for mentioning my log! I really need to find time to update it. And redsfan's log and chi cubs' logs were great too. Good job with this one!

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:57 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

/crushed for no mention for inspiration

Naw, just kidding, I'll follow

Money can't buy life

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:46 am 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Thanks for the encouragement fellas. I have one more housekeeping post then I'll be posting player profiles very soon.

Anyone who wants to be an agent, let me know after I post the player and they are all yours. Just so no one ends up with a monolpoly on the players, lets call it limit three per person with the entire roster.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:03 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Powerprosfan31 wrote:

Jealous? :razz:

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:53 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I wanna be an agent!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:17 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Dugan names coaching staff

San Jose- Riptide manager Jimmy Dugan rounded out the remainder of his coaching staff today with an interesting mix of personalities:
Former Yankees slugger Jack Elliot will assume the role of hitting coach
Former Chicago Cubs ace Chet Steadman will join the team as pitching coach.
Former New York Knights manager "Pop" Fisher and former Durham Bulls catcher Crash Davis will join the team as first and third base coaches respectively and serve as assistants.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:29 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

OK, last order of business before I start posting created players:
I will be creating 8 players in all: 4 fielders and 4 pitchers. Now i wanted to go with younger players across the board, so you won't see any aging veterans (except one that I couldn't resist). Some of the players I'm creating may have been a bit older in the movies, so i backed off thier abilities a bit to fit with what thier younger selves may have actualy been; ie I fudged some ages and abilities so i could get some people.
No heals! You won't see the likes of Jack Parkman or Clu Heywood.
Here is the last bit of franchise info I created that I haven't mentioned yet (the AAA team is made-up)

Team Name: San Jose Riptide
Stadium: Cisco Park (Camden Yards)
League and Division: American League West
Minor League Team(S): Port Orford Shipwreck (AAA)
Inaugural Season: 2007

So for those of you dying to be an agent, AnthonyP, the first player is coming soon.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:09 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

k thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:19 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Paul McCartney15 wrote:
Powerprosfan31 wrote:

Jealous? :razz:

Nooooooooo :P

Money can't buy life

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:22 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Man this log looks really good so far.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:27 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Riptide get a "Jet," sign Dodger farmhand Rodriguez

San Jose- The Riptide have announced today that they have acquired former Dodger prospect Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez. San Jose was able to get Rodriguez under contract as he was left unprotected in the recent expansion draft by the Dodgers. Why he was left unprotected is a bit of a mystery since he is regarded as one of the best prospects in baseball, but Tide GM Al Percoclo isn't complaining.
"He is definitely an emerging super star. He can play just about anywhere in the field, has fantastic speed and has the potential to be a 30-30 type guy. He had unbelievable numbers at tripe A"
High praise for a guy that has never played more than a handful of games above AAA, but the praise is well deserved. Last season in 140 games at AAA Albuquerque, Rodriguez batted .291, hit 20 homeruns, drove in 73 and stole 24 bases.
"Those are numbers we think he can duplicate this season," said Percolo.
But how will he be used? Manager Jimmy Dugan had this to say:
"He plays very good defense and can play just about anywhere. But I seem him playing a premium defensive position; shortstop, centerfield - he has the speed and arm strength to play either position. Offensively, He certainly has the potential to be a big time power threat, but I think it's a littlie crazy to think he's going to hit 30 in his rookie season."
Rodriguez, who will be 22 when the season starts, was drafted by the Dodgers while he was a junior in high schools and then spent four years in the Dodger organization before being signed by San Jose. Rodriguez, who is from southern California, grew up a Dodger fan but is happy for the chance to start everyday in the bigs.
"I'm disappointed it didn't work out for me in LA, but I'm very excited about being part of the Riptide organization."
OK, so I didn't want Benny turning out this good, but every time I tried to think of a reason to down his stats, I had a counter argument why I shouldn’t.
His defensive stats are as good as they are because playing defense takes heart, hustle, hard wok and determination… no one does any of that better than Benny, hence the good defensive stats. And how do you not give a guy who's nickname is "The Jet" at least B level speed. The only place I could see to maybe downgrade him a bit was the connect and power department. We always new he was a good hitter, but never got to see his power; but you have to believe, for as good of an all around player he was, he would have serious potential. And he has to get Tough Runner, he did pickle the beast!
Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez -R/R
DOB: 7/4 (22)
Trajectory: 3
Connect: D-9
Power: B-145
Run Speed: B-13
Arm Strength: C-11
Fielding: C-10
E-Resistance: D-9
Special: Stealing, Tough Runner, Tough Out, Throwing, Contact Hitter, Clutch Hitter[4], Patient Hitter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next