Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:04 am 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Barundar, those are some really good posts. Welcome aboard!

I guess I do a bit of balancing myself. I don't hardcore micromanage, but I also don't just leave things alone. I tend to setup my 25 man major league roster with 11 position players and 14 pitchers (6 starters, 1 swing man, 1 long reliever, 3 middle relievers, 2 setup men, and a closer), because I find pitchers much more finicky about fatigue and mood than position players. My bench in terms of position players is usually a spare outfielder and a spare infielder, so there's not a lot of giving guys the day off. I call up guys from AAA as injury replacements, but I can't wrap my mind around sending a starter on the MLB roster to AAA for 10 days in order to "rest" :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:09 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Here's something else for you....

I got Torii Hunter in a package trade from the Twins. The Twins were using him evey day. I got him and put him in for one of my tired players. He couldnt hit the ball very hard even on power swing. I then went into practice only to see that his fatigue level was maxed out. He is also in danger of injury at that fatigue level. The computer uses a team based on your ROLE SETTINGS and TEAM STRATEGY when you do not play them yourself. If you do not have a backup for the position or you do not have a player set to come out for def replacement late his fatigue level will rise. When it is maxed he is at his worst. His mood will fluctuate and he will not hit well.
My solution? I put him on REST and FITNESS. Then I used him for pinch hitting dutys for a week. I have the HOT DOG practice equipment for my REST catagory. His fatigue level is down to 1/2 in just 3-4 days.
Check your teams fatigue and check your settings....A few days of good pinch hitting and he is yellow and gaining power. When he hits his hot streak I have a deadly bench/backup player!

PS...damn I'm chatty today....a strech in the season, say just b4 the all star break you may play 14 days in a row! Rotate your players! Not too many play 4-5 days in a row with day/nite games. Start your day as the GM, then the Manager, Coach, and player. Work big to small and your team will WIN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:53 am 
3rd Base Coach
3rd Base Coach

Favorite Team: Astros
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Barundar wrote:
If I had that problem with the 'Power DH' here is how I would analyze it: first check his age. If he is older he may be losing some of his ability and his mood could fluctuate. Is he getting hits? Try moving him up in the lineup to get more at bats. Is he tired and can't hit? Try moving him down in the lineup to get less at bats and more fastballs. A player can lose mood if the team is in a slump, if he is in a slump, if he is used in trades that fail, no days off, etc. I would try him in a different spot after about 2 days off. Also since I play each game I have noticed that when a player goes cold to flat, especially with power hitters, you need to hit regular. That is no power swing. Let them get a few hits and regain their feel. Also some players are not so good against leftys/rightys. Check their stats and see. Maybe you face certain pitchers that he cant hit. Also weather. Some dont play well in rain=Also in your stats. Is he a natural DH? or have you taken an every day player like an ARod and made him a DH. Not playing can effect mood.
If all else fails, maybe its time for a change. Package him up and ship him out! I have gotten over 40 homers out of Marcus Thames from Detroit who I traded a backup player for. He is a defensive backup for them I think and his power is a B to start. Sometimes its easier to make a trade, I was hitting over .300 with Sean Green but he wasnt happy playing part time so I traded him. His mood went up and down as I rotated him in and out of the lineup. Also good pitching beats good hitting. Are you losing games late? That could bring a team down. Look for a good reliever. Try Ohman from the cubs. May be the only lefty reliever that is a 4 against leftys, a 4 fastball life, and a 4 recovery. Golden in the bullpen.

The guy in question is Success Mode player I made especially to be a DH. Running speed is ok, but no fielding at all. A 15 contact and 200+ power. The guy either jacks a homerun, or hits a weak pop up. Mostly weak shots. I try normal swing and he hits a dinky ground ball to the pitcher. I gave him some days off, and nothing. I gave him some time in the field at 1B. I moved him up and down the lineup. Nothing.

The guy has a ton of skills and no red abilities. Every years he gets outhit by a guy that has worse contact and only a 145 in power. Not saying his stats are bad, they are great, but a weaker player is seriously outperforming him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:57 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I gave this some thought....

Ok Beltran (Mets). I break home run records with this turkey. His contact is 10 and power is 217. So if your stats are better than that you can hit lots of HRs. Next Trajectory (TRJ) this determines how high off the ground a player can hit a ball. A rating of 3 or higher is good for most power hitters. Beltran is at a 4. If yours is low it isnt getting over the fence too often. If it is high like a 5, it may go too high on average. So we then look to skills. Beltran has Power Hitter and Tough out as well as patient hitter. If you take skills like Contact hitter or Spray hitter, hot hitter etc. it will increase your hitting in situations like bases loaded or 2 strike counts. A player with a 5 TRJ and say free swinger skill with good back to back hitting skill behind a .200 batter may hit a few pop ups. Check your skills first. Goto Player Info/Player search/then switch to special ability/ and look at the skills. Some have multiple levels that you can see by hitting the A (on Wii) button more than once on a skill. You could have a bad combo of skills.
Also I don't think it's possible to come up as a DH? Does your player have a fielding position? Maybe he needs to get into the field for a bit!
The difference between Beltran and Delgado for instance is that Delgado is a Free swinger and Beltran is a patient hitter. Delgado is a high hot zone slugger. When I free swing at a low pitch Delgado hits alot of popups. Beltran can level out a pitch to a liner over short. Power hitters get streaky. They hit one or make an out more often than not. If you have a good leadoff hitter move him to the 2 slot and eat some fastballs for breakfast. Or if he is a good Bases Loaded hitter move him to the 3-5 slots for some action.
If all else fails...well...we had to let Piazza go....

PS: make sure your fatigue isnt maxed out and remember some players have the STAR skill under Others1 on their stats. That will give them a boost on their skills in certain situations. If you arent a star you wont always play like one...Dont think of mood as weather or not they are happy. Yellow is normal mood- think of the frown as their game face-, blue is cold purple is flat, Red is hot and pink is at their best. Try writting down 10 words that describe your feelings at that moment and then try it again in 4 days. No one feels the same day to day. Pitchers are different each start and fielders are good for a few days to a week.

(wanna laugh? The cubs have a pitcher named Cherry and an outfielder named Pie!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:52 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
I'm pretty sure trajectory only goes up to 4.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:27 pm 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
J-Gao wrote:
I'm pretty sure trajectory only goes up to 4.

Yar, level 5 is permanently popping out to the catcher... sound like a lot of slumping batters right now...

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:57 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

TRJ is capped at 4. But the right combo of skills is the key. I just had a cold player go 4-5 with 2 homers. and thats with a 178 power and 8 contact. But He has Pull and Push hitter and tough out. He is a high outside zone hitter and faced a lefty that worked outside. He ate the pitcher alive. Also a TRJ of 4. I just dont trust the AI to control my team...
In further thought I would imagine certain skills will alter what you are trying to do with a player. Lets say you made a power hitter looking for home runs. Then you teach him contact hitter and tough out. Or maybe a push hitter skill. You may tend to get more base hits than HRs. Your player's power is how hard you hit the ball somewhere. That doesnt mean a HR every time. In order to make a programed player act real you input different skills to simulate a personality in situations. Therefore the skill combos must effect your results in some fashion....

Post subject: Moods
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:43 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

dont have manual can some one layout the moods for me thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:42 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Pink = Best Form
Red = Good Form
Yellow = Normal
Blue = Bad Form
Purple = Worst Form
Green = Injured

Post subject: Re: Player Motivation
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:33 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Rangers
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
FORM im learning more and more is VERY IMPORTANT. :idea:

I think a player in BAD FORM is more likely to COMMIT ERRORS and may even have a REDUCTION in his abilities!

My evidence is quite clear...

Laird my ALL-AROUND good catcher (DEFENSIVELY) had a few VERY BAD OUTINGS and I didnt know what to blame!

1 game stood out in particular...

I had Laird throw 4-5 pickoff attempts in a game and I KID YOU NOT... EVERY ONE was off target bringing up the ! Point... ALL OF THEM! :shock:

I mean its ok to throw 1-2 bad throws in a game but ALL OF THEM!?

The only thing I noticed different was that he had been in WORST FORM (PURPLE) :wtf2: for a few days now and I guess it got to him.

I then realized how important FORM is for a catcher and it would explain why Laird (MY AWESOME CATCHER) was leading the majors in PB by more than 10...

FORM is VERY IMPORTANT for a Catcher and I shouldve been pulling him on his bad days!

I now learned to pull Laird and put in my backup Catcher any time Laird is in bad or worst form if my backups form tops Lairds. :wink:

I dont think benching a player for being in BAD FORM is a good idea in every case because sometimes a GOOD PLAYER even in BAD FORM produces better than some of your bench in BEST FORM. HOWEVER... I havent been seeing nearly as many Passed Balls since I applied this principle and the throws are coming STRONG AGAIN... GGs PeePs... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:01 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Giants
Favorite Japanese title: (DS) Nettou! Powerful Koushien
:!:
that's interesting...

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:55 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Rangers
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
WOAH! I have the #'s now... :roll:

Laird has 17 PB's in 607.0 INN (He leads the majors in PB's)

2nd is Johjima with only 3 PB's in 659.1 INN :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!:

FORM!

BTW - Im still 2 weeks from the All-Star game... :roll:

Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:57 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

nice.
we should do more research, if we come up with something we could put it on the wiki.

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:59 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Phillies
stevenjackson39 wrote:
nice.
we should do more research, if we come up with something we could put it on the wiki.

defintley. i'll try to help if you want, but i'm pretty busy with mike's log and my created team...(need to get those darn PWs up :|

Mike
He's a real player that DrMario made for me.

This is my friend's forum from school.
http://jplaz.com/ I'm catcher51 there, too.

R.I.P. Harry Kalas 1936-2009 "It's outta here!"
R.I.P Jim Johnson 1941-2009 Blitz (need i say more?)

"I'm a dishonest man, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you have to watch out for. Because you never know when they're going to do something stupid."
Jack Sparrow
. Pirates of the Caribbean and the Curse of the Black Pearl.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:00 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

i was busy completing my newest and best player EVER!
sorry for the ad, but i'm really psyched, he's so good.

-David Thorne

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next