Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Posting:

* Individual players should be in their own thread, with the full name of the player and position(s) in the title. Don't add superlatives or any other shout outs to it... we will see your guys...
* If you post a team or a set of players, add players by editing your starting post so they're all in the same post. A bump to announce the edit is appropriate.
* Posting images are fine, provided they are small in dimension and data. 800x600 and ~50Kb should be the biggest you can post inline (using the [IMG] tag), anything larger, post a link or a clickable thumbnail instead.
* If you have wiki rights, add your player(s) and team(s) there as well!
-->

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: new schmidt
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:07 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '07: Sony PS2
J-Gao wrote:
Once I finish up my Sparky Lyle, I think I'll try to tackle Mike Schmidt, with Dedalus's (first page) guy as my benchmark minimum.

jgao,

i just posted a new schmidt in the "post your characters" thread (sorry it's a ps2 password, but i listed his stats separately) that you might want to take a look at.

sd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:02 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Yeah, saw him. I'll probably use that one, but bring up the contact and run speed a little (he did still 29 bases early on in his career), as well as giving him 4 TRJ, and maybe lessening the power to a more reasonable 200 - else it'll be too hard for me. I'm thinking about adding more abilities, as well.

My proposal:

4 TRJ
11 (C) CON
200 (A) POW
8 (D) RUN
15 (A) ARM
15 (A) FLD
15 (A) ERES

Abilties:
Throwing 4
Power Hitter
Slugger
Patient Hitter
Spray Hitter
Tough Out
Gold Glover
Barehand Catch
Star
Rally Hitter

But who do you think is more deserving of the top third baseman title - Schmidt or George Brett? Because maybe I'll make GB instead. I don't like him, though, stupid pine tar.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:11 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

J-Gao wrote:
But who do you think is more deserving of the top third baseman title - Schmidt or George Brett? Because maybe I'll make GB instead. I don't like him, though, stupid pine tar.

man, that's a tough call. as a lifelong phils fan i'm definitely biased, but i've got to go with schmidt. brett had a better batting average, and brooks robinson was probably a more consistent defensive 3rd baseman, but schmidt's combination of smart defensive play and consistent power at the plate makes him, in my estimation, the best all-around 3rd baseman of all time.

your proposed stats look very, very authentic; my lone suggestion is making sure he gets the "refined" ability. schmidt was obsessive about analyzing the mechanics of hitting, and he even authored a book about it (his ruminations about the pros and cons of weight-shifting hitting vs. twisting / rotation hitting are awe-inspiring).

in any case, have fun bringing michael jack schmidt to the wii!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Yeah, I'll probably stick with Schmidt, now that I have his abilities in line.

I'll try to get refined, but that means I'll have to go with the Annie route to get 2 SoH books - one for rally hitter as well.

I was debating about whether to get intimidator - but it'll be too hard. I only get it for closers and pure power hitters with no other strengths. I can't spend that much time dating and still get the multiple A's - especially in power.

The hardest part for me is boosting the non-gambling stats - power, stamina, control. For my best characters they'll either have an A in one of those stats, but be filled with sub-C stats, or they'll be maxed-out in all but those stats.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:47 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

J-Gao wrote:
I was debating about whether to get intimidator - but it'll be too hard.

i also considered going for intimidator, but there's just no way i could have jumped through all those hoops and still gotten his stats where i wanted them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:51 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Exactly. Even Mrsims31 couldn't do it for Gaia. Closers are easy because of the low stamina, and the control doesn't have to be that high either.

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:29 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

2 more guys - Sparky Lyle and Yogi Berra - the basics are all there - added a little to make them better - because I can. Translation - better than they should be.

Lyle - former Yankees closer - my main motivation for making him - I needed a lefty reliever for my HOF team.
Stats:
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj59 ... GP5332.jpg
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj59 ... GP5333.jpg

Password:
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj59 ... GP5334.jpg

Berra - obvious who he is - multi-positioned
Stats:
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj59 ... GP5335.jpg
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj59 ... GP5336.jpg
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj59 ... GP5337.jpg
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj59 ... GP5338.jpg

Password:
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj59 ... GP5339.jpg

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:26 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
A couple of useful guys, definitely needed a lefty reliever too and having a backup catcher is helpful as well :) Nice job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:03 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Hopefully, I'll get Mike Schmidt started up soon. Haven't had the time I wanted, and, Super Smash is taking up my time, although I am close to finishing up the Adventure Mode - so back to MLBPP it will be!

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject: Re: Hall of Famers
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:28 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

OK, I recently started on Schmidt, and have decided to be ambitious and pursue the Intimidator ability. The main reason for this is that I would've dated Becky anyway because many of her dates produce abilities that I desire.

I'm going to have to get my first Success with Dr. Goodjob on this one, though.

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:58 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Angels
Console '08: Sony PS2
Like I said in another topic, you can get him in year 3 directly after both the World Gatherings and Champion Rings(thanks mr.sims) games. They're both relatively pain free to acquire if you get the first Dr Goodjob address visit. With those two you should be able to max out a character relatively easily. If I had known about the chance after the WG game I would've maxed my new CF I posted a few days ago!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:17 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
Has anyone done Ty Cobb yet? If not I might take a stab at him tonight or tomorrow - he's always fascinated me.

Addition: Do we know how to unlock the different batting stances from success mode on the wii yet? I think it's Alvin that has the characteristic Cobb hands-apart batting stance, I'd like to use that one for a Cobb player.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
brick hithouse wrote:
Has anyone done Ty Cobb yet? If not I might take a stab at him tonight or tomorrow - he's always fascinated me.

Addition: Do we know how to unlock the different batting stances from success mode on the wii yet? I think it's Alvin that has the characteristic Cobb hands-apart batting stance, I'd like to use that one for a Cobb player.

Nope, no one has done Cobb yet. He'd be a good one to have.

Check out the stances thread in General - Ryan Soohoo figured out how to make it work on the Wii.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:37 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
Just got through with Ty Cobb. Things went fairly smooth, took me about 3 hours start to finish, including the all-star game. Almost won the All-Star game too! I was up 4-1 in th 6th until A-Rod jacked a 3-run homer, then kept it tied until the 9th when A-Rod jacked another solo shot this time to give them the 5-4 lead. I had a man on first and third with one out in the 9th but hit into a bang-bang double play to end the game - NOOOO! Ya, the TV heard some choice words today.
Anyway, here's the Cobb player I came up with. Lots of abilities thanks to a lot of successful gambling. Here's what I've got:
Attributes:
Run Spd A (15)
Contact A (14) - remember, Cobb's rookie season he hit a dismal .240
Power F (33) - Cobb was not a HR hitter, although he claimed he could have if he wanted to, and proved it with 5 jacks in 2 games against the Yanks one year, but he was the epitome of a small ball player, so he shouldn't be hitting many taters every year.
E-Res E (6) - Last I checked Cobb still held the record for most career errors by an outfielder, but that was likely due more to a long playing career than anything, plus the gloves they used were terrible.
Field E (7) - he was able to track down a lot of balls more because of his speed than his fielding ability.
Arm Strength D (8) - as Charles Comiskey once said, Cobb would throw the ball anywhere, and it would 'usually' go to the right place.
Trj 2 - he should be stinging liners everywhere

Abilities:
Contact hitter
Bunt Master (Trivia: did you know that the rule that a bunt foul on 2 strikes would be called a 3rd strike was implemented because Cobb was such a skilled bunter that he would bunt off 20 or 30 pitches foul until he saw one he liked).
Grt Inf Hitter
Stealing
Tough Runner - Cobb wouldn't just bowl catchers over, he would go flying into home metal spikes first
Consistency
Base Running
Tough out
Spray hitter

The only ability that I feel is really missing is Intimidator, but I've never been able to get Becky to even date me let alone teach me anything.
Note that when Cobb played there were no uniform numbers, so I gave him number 0, as close as I could get. I also gave him Alvin's hands-apart batting stance, although even that's a bit too crouched over, but it's the closest we've got.

Let me know what you think. Like I said, there were only maybe 5 times I had to save/reload because I didn't get the ability I was gambling on, all in all things went pretty smoothly. Got GoodJob's address but never did go to see him unfortunately.

Oh ya right, here's the link to the password for the Wii: http://publish.uwo.ca/~dwalton5/Pictures/100_3542.JPG. I might not be able to leave it up for long though, so get on it if you're interested.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:16 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I just finished up Mike Schmidt.
Turned out almost exactly the way I had it planned, although it happened differently than I'd planned. I originally planned to use a Goodjob visit to boost him to where I wanted him, but fell victim to the trap Wyl did with Whitey Ford, in that I couldn't get an RE in the week before the World Gathering and Superstar games. Luckily, I was already close enough, and with some work, got the stats up.
J-Gao wrote:
My proposal:
4 TRJ
11 (C) CON
200 (A) POW
8 (D) RUN
15 (A) ARM
15 (A) FLD
15 (A) ERES
Abilties:
Throwing 4
Power Hitter
Slugger
Patient Hitter
Spray Hitter
Tough Out
Gold Glover
Barehand Catch
Star
Rally Hitter

And this is what I ended up with
4 TRJ
11 (C) Contact
200 (A) Power
8 (D) Run speed
15 (A) Arm strength
15 (A) Fielding
15 (A) Error Resistance
Throwing 4
Power Hitter
Slugger
Patient Hitter
Spray Hitter
Tough Out
Gold Glover
Barehand Catch
Star
Rally Hitter
INTIMIDATOR
Walk-Off Hitter
Clutch 4
VS Lefty 4

Once I get the pictures, I'll post them following the rules of the board - read as: in a different thread.

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next