Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is for specific discussion about any sport that doesn't belong in the Baseball, Football or Basketball subforums. This includes fantasy sports.
-->

Post subject: Michael Pederson - The NHL Life
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:30 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
This will essentially be like a log, but with the catch being the game it's based on doesn't actually exist, so everything will basically be made up, but much will be based off of the My Life mode in MLB Power Pros. Basically, I was thinking "What would it be like if there was an NHL Power Pros, and I made a My Life log based on it?", I got some ideas and even though I don't know when I'll make the time to work on it, I would like the chance to actually use some of the ideas before abandoning this. This may not be regularly updated, and it may not be updated at all, really it depends on a lot of things.

Basically, I will use italics to indicate the main character's thoughts, or journal entries, haven't decided if a journal will apply or not.

Bio:

Position: Goalie
Birth Date: March 5th, 1995 (18 at start of log)
Preferred Number: #40
Scouting Report: Shows flashes of brilliance, but doesn't seem completely consistent. Has had some injury trouble throughout his career in the juniors, but nothing major that would be a cause for concern. Like most goalies in the juniors, he gives up his fair share of goals, but a lot of them can be attributed to the inexperienced defensemen. Could potentially be a starting goalie if he keeps working hard. Could grow well behind a solid defense.

---

June 30th, 2013:

Well, the draft is over. The day I've been working for my whole career, and it went a little bit better than expected. Most scouts had me pegged to go somewhere in the 4th or 5th round, but I didn't have to wait quite that long. In reality, I wound up being picked in the 2nd round, 48th overall, to the Detroit Red Wings. I was surprised and extremely happy with where I was picked, as well as who I was drafted by. I hear it isn't too bad in Detroit, and they have a team that's made the playoffs the last, what was it, 22 seasons? Unbelievable. Of course it would be hard to make the roster for a team like that, but I'm confident now.

On the drive home, I almost forgot who I was. Red Wings highlights just kept flashing through my head. Datsyuk and Zetterberg's offensive brilliance. Kronwall's barely legal (and sometimes not) body checks. I tried not to think of any of Howard's saves, as soon as the thought occurred that I would be trying to steal his job. Really though, I should start focusing on working hard through the offseason to try to get into NHL-shape, hopefully I can make an impression in training-camp.

Quote:
Hello
Though I am not a coach, I can coach, please trust me!

Post subject: Re: Michael Pederson - The NHL Life
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:36 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
Console '07: Don't Own
Huh, sounds interesting.

Inaugural Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:38 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Athletics
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
BrewersFuzz wrote:
Huh, sounds interesting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2017 and 2018 MLBPPW Fantasy Football League Champion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:20 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

September 11th, 2013:

After a busy offseason, it's finally time for Training Camp. Shortly after the draft I was signed to a two-way contract worth $550,000. Not much, probably around the minimum salary, but what could I expect? I haven't even played in the NHL yet. I also had to take some time to find an Apartment to live in, here in Detroit, a place to stay when I'm not on the road. And it's all been leading up to this. It wouldn't be an exciting first day, since it's just physicals and we don't hit the ice until tomorrow, but just meeting everyone will be a great experience.

Head Coach: Welcome to the team Mike, we look forward to seeing what you can do for us here.

I feel like I should know who this is by the way he's greeting me, but I have no idea. Better ask now and get it over with.

Pederson: I'm sorry, but who are you?

Babcock: I'm Mike Babcock of course, I'm the head coach of the Red Wings...

Pederson: Really? I've seen pictures and interviews with Mike Babcock and you don't look like or sound like him at all.

Babcock: I have no idea what you're talking about, just go get acquainted with the team in there.

Well, I think asking him made this situation more awkward, and I think I annoyed him, if he really is the head coach here, that probably isn't good news...

I walked over to where the rest of the players were, but didn't really get too close to anyone, I don't know anyone yet and I'm a bit nervous when I'm not on the ice.

???: Oy! Pederson! Over 'ere!

I look over and see someone walking towards me. Uh oh, am I supposed to know this guy too? He breaks out into a run and hugs me like we're old friends.

Pederson: ... Who are you?

Blokeley: Wot? You don't know 'oo I am? I'm Blokeley.

I stare blankly at him.

Blokeley: Thomas Blokeley? You don't know me? My word, mate! I was drafted only five rounds after yourself.

I'm supposed to know a seventh round draft pick? I don't even know why he's here.

Pederson: Oh. Well... I'm Michael Pederson.

Blokeley: I knew that.

Pederson: Right. Of course.

The day seemed to drag on as Blokeley stuck by my side despite my pretty obvious hints that I didn't like him. At least I seemed to do well on physicals and training...

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:26 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Athletics
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
Ethan Oakley
Thomas Blokely

Nice ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2017 and 2018 MLBPPW Fantasy Football League Champion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:32 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Tigers
Looks interesting. I like the team choice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:34 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

September 12th, 2013:

Finally time to hit the ice. I did a little bit of on ice practicing during the offseason, but I would expect that to be nothing compared to the intensity of working in an NHL practice.

We started off simple, just doing laps around the rink. I certainly wasn't the fastest skater, but with all the goalie equipment on, what else could I expect? We moved on to practicing game situations with two teams that were regularly scrambled around. I was doing pretty well, then I found myself on the same team as Blokeley. I didn't think to ask what position he even played at first, but I could then see he was a defenseman. Our team was practicing penalty-killing, and with Blokeley on my team, and Zetterberg and Datsyuk on the other team, it did not go well. It seemed I was giving up a goal on nearly every play, and my frustration built up.

Pederson: Damn it, Blokeley! Are you covering anybody?!

Blokeley: I've been covering that #40 guy mostly. Why?

He's been trying to cover Zetterberg? I haven't seen him near Zetterberg yet...

Pederson: If you're covering him, how does he keep getting wide open in front of the net?

Blokeley: Well, ya'see, these guys are pretty good now, aren't they?

Pederson: Obviously, but you should be too if you're here with them...

Blokeley: Sod off, git. You should focus on covering the net.

After that, we mostly practiced in silence. Once I got off of Blokeley's team, things weren't too bad. Until the "breakaway" practices. They called them breakaway practices, but with the complete absence of any backchecking pressure, they were more like shootout practices. I was doing well for the most part, and then Pavel Datsyuk came up.

I've heard him called a magician before, which I thought was just a nickname, but there's no way he could have pulled off those moves without some kind of magical ability. He went up 5 times and I didn't come within a foot of saving any of his attempts. Unfortunately, the day ended on that note, I would have preferred to go off on a big-save, or at least something okay. That was an absolute embarrassment to me.

Blokeley: Well that chap sure knows a dazzling maneuver or two now, don't 'e?

Great, he's back...

Pederson: Who?

Blokeley: 'oo?! Well, I don't know 'is name. The funny-talking fellow over there!

He sure is one to call someone else funny-talking.

Pederson: You mean Datsyuk?

Blokeley: Yeah, that duck-soup lad.

Pederson: How have you not heard of him?

Blokeley: I don't know. I'm not from around 'ere, am I?

Good God, this guy is getting more intolerable by the minute...

Quote:
Hello