Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez - The Resurgence
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:12 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
I think that my Pedro is cursed. :lol: In the 23 2/3 innings I've pitched, my team has scored TWO runs. :evil:

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:47 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

April 18, 2008 - April 26, 2008

On the 18th, I went golfing while we were still in Florida and felt an increase in my skill.

The next day, I decided to take Oakley with me. He brought along Willie Harris, a utility man for the pro squad. I ended up with a 104, Oakley had a 97, and Harris got a 105.

The next day was a travel day. After a morning game with the Marlins, we packed our bags and headed to Atlanta for a two-game series with the Braves.

I was in my room watching SportsCenter after the first game of the Braves series when there was a breaking news flash for a blockbuster trade between the Angels and Dodgers. The Angels had sent Gary Matthews Jr. and Reggie Willits over to the Dodgers for Matt Kemp.

After the series in Atlanta was over, we headed home to face the Mets in a two-game series to begin an eleven-game home stand that also featured the Cubs, Braves, and Pirates.

Game Scores while injured:
Nationals 3-0 Marlins
Nationals 6-21 Marlins :shock: :lol:
Nationals 4-3 Marlins
Nationals 7-9 Braves
Nationals 8-2 Braves
Mets 7-8 Nationals

On the 24th, I headed to the team doctor and was cleared to play again! I had to wait a few days before my next start, though.

After being paid on the 25th, I went on a shopping spree to buy new practice equipment.

Game Scores while waiting:
Mets 15-6 Nationals
Cubs 4-2 Nationals
Cubs 1-4 Nationals

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:33 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

April 27, 2008

Today I got to start against the Cubs, the perennial NL Central bottom-feeders. They were in fourth in their division so far with an 11-13 record. But we weren't much better off with a 12-13 record.

After Mr. Acta gave his pre-game talk, we hit the field and prepared for the game. I came on to begin the top of the first against Alfonso Soriano. On his second pitch, Soriano popped up to first for an out. The next hitter was Ryan Theriot, who grounded out to second. Derrek Lee was next, grounding out to short to end the inning.

After a scoreless bottom half of the inning, I came back on to face the Cubs in the top of the second. First up was their cleanup man, Aramis Ramirez, who hit a line drive single to center. Next was Kosuke Fukudome, who hit a double to left. Mark DeRosa followed with a strikeout. Geovany Soto, the catcher, was next. On his third pitch, he hit a weak grounder to Ronnie Belliard, our second baseman, who let it slip through his legs to plate Ramirez. And somehow, even though it was an error, I was still charged with an earned run. Anyways, Felix Pie was next, hitting a short fly to center that fell in front of our center fielder for a single that drove in Fukudome. Next was Bob Howry, the pitcher, who struck out in six pitches. Soriano stepped up next, striking out in three pitches to end the inning.

After another inning without run support, I came back on for the top of the third. Leading off was Theriot, who struck out in three pitches. Lee followed with a strikeout of his own for the second out. Ramirez stepped in next, hitting a grounder to short. He should've been out, but our shortstop bobbled the ball and earned an error. What is up with them today?!? Anyways, Fukudome was next, grounding out to first to end the inning.

I came up for my first at-bat in the bottom of the third with nobody on and one out. I lined out to second.

I was back on to start the fourth. Leading off was DeRosa, who hit a liner to left for a single. Soto followed with a pop-up to short for the first out. Next was Pie, who struck out in three pitches. Howry stepped in next, flying out to short left to end the inning.

My team scored a run in the bottom of the inning, so we were down 2-1 when I stepped back up for the top of the fifth. Soriano led off with a single, but Theriot grounded into a 4-6-3 double play. Lee followed with a single past me. Then Ramirez grounded out to third to end the inning.

I came up for my second at-bat in the bottom of the fifth with nobody on and one out, grounding out to second.

I was pulled after that. We ended up losing 3-1 and I took the loss. I pitched 5 innings, giving up two runs (one should have been unearned but was counted as earned) on six hits while striking out six. Again, another decent performance without run support. Our team spirit worsened as I walked away disappointed with the loss.

But then something happened to lift my spirits. As I was leaving, I bumped into someone in a Dick's Sporting Goods uniform. Dick's was where I would buy all my gear. She recognized me immediately. Her name was Emma Foster, and she hadn't realized before that I was a pro athlete. She instantly said that she would be a fan of mine from now on. Huh. She seems nice.

Anyways, after the loss, I decided to work out when I got home. I had a couple pieces of equipment break on me. Luckily, it was right at the end of my workout. But I lost my 6.5 Lbs dumbbell and my pitching tube.

--------------------------------------------------
The next day was a free day, so I decided to work out again.

April 29, 2008 - April 30, 2008

I ended up working out each of the next two days, getting myself pumped up for my next start.

Game Scores:
Braves 3-4 Nationals
Braves 7-8 Nationals

Monthly Summary

Stat Line: 0-2, 1.57 ERA, 27 K's, 28 2/3 IP, 5 R, 5 ER, 21 H

NL East Standings:
1. Philadelphia Phillies 17-11
2. New York Mets 15-13
3. Washington Nationals 14-14
4. Florida Marlins 13-14
5. Atlanta Braves 13-16'

All in all, I had a pretty solid first month in the league. However, without run support, I failed to record a single win in my four starts. Looks like it's up to me to turn it on.

Seriously?!? 28 2/3 innings and only THREE runs of support?!?!? :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:34 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Wow, it's been too long. Planning on starting this back up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:58 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Huh, I missed this before. Neat idea.

Are you saying it's wrong to talk to a bag of Skittles? Because if so, I'm going to need to rethink a lot of things. :P
BrewersFuzz wrote:
Powerprosfan31 wrote:
What do twelve year olds do with girlfriends?
Give them ringpops and let them cut up to their spot in line during lunch.
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 2017 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS mutha *(censored)*!
Dishnetkid is a heretic who must be burned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:01 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Ya. Jag made a rookie Pedro for me. So I started this. Hope it goes well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:22 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Indians
Run support in MLB Life is a joke. That's why I usually play as a hitter.

BrewersFuzz wrote:
AND THEN IN A SHOCKING TURN OF EVENTS CLEVELAND BLOWS THE 3-1 LEAD THIS TIME

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:35 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I agree. It hates me. We could win a game by 10, and then my team wouldn't score any time I would start.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:08 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
If you're a pitcher, you get no run support, and if you're a hitter, you get played at the wrong position. It's pretty much a lose-lose situation

NAPOLI FOR MVP

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

post count doesn't matter

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:09 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Indians
Yeah, MLB Life had so much potential, but poor mechanics ruined it IMO. Season Mode FTW.

BrewersFuzz wrote:
AND THEN IN A SHOCKING TURN OF EVENTS CLEVELAND BLOWS THE 3-1 LEAD THIS TIME

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:12 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Console '08: Wii and PS2
GoTwins24 wrote:
Yeah, MLB Life had so much potential, but poor mechanics ruined it IMO. Season Mode FTW.

Agreed. But I didn't even notice the run support issue because I never played as a pitcher.

However, my batter I played with forever ended up developing from a stereotypical modest power hitter into a guy who, by his mid 30's, easily led the league in every category. Even steals.

Are you saying it's wrong to talk to a bag of Skittles? Because if so, I'm going to need to rethink a lot of things. :P
BrewersFuzz wrote:
Powerprosfan31 wrote:
What do twelve year olds do with girlfriends?
Give them ringpops and let them cut up to their spot in line during lunch.
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 2017 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS mutha *(censored)*!
Dishnetkid is a heretic who must be burned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:26 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Yep. Everyone becomes OP.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:04 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
Same problem for me, but on a lesser scale. My team hasn't gone above 3 runs in any game I've pitched, but they've hit that mark several times and scored just enough on other outings to help me avoid a no decision. But yes, they score outrageously when I'm not on the hill.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:36 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Ya, they do that like crazy.

Anyways, I'm gonna try and start this back up. Planning on one update minimum per day, unless I just can't.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:45 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Here goes. First update since May!

May 1, 2008

A new day, a new month to prove myself. The team fell to some disappointment last, only going 14-14. The only real bright spot for the team was my 1.57 ERA, ranked 4th in the NL and 5 in the MLB. Hopefully we can turn that into some wins and actually get the bats going. As a team, we had only scored 131 runs and 260 hits to go with a .261 team batting average, worst in the division in each category.

Anyways, I decided to go golfing with Willie Harris. We went out there and just had a good time. But unfortunately, I lost. I scored a 76 and he put in a 71.

That night we beat the Pirates 12-5. Where are those runs when I need them?!?!?

May 2, 2008

I decided to work out ahead of the night's game with Pittsburgh. I got a little worn down.

That night we smoked the Pirates again, this time beating them 14-2. They better score like that when I start pitching...

May 3, 2008

Today I get to start against the Pirates. After winning our last two, the team was pumped and ready to complete the sweep.

Mr. Acta pulled me aside before the game. "Hey, be confident out there,' he said. "I know you haven't gotten that first win yet, but you're playing great. Just do your job and let your teammates do theirs. Don't worry."

And so the game began...

I stepped on in front of a roaring home crowd in the top of the first to face the Pirates' leadoff man, Nate McLouth. I set him down swinging in three pitches, then moved to Freddy Sanchez, who grounded out to short. The third batter, Jason Bay, stepped in. On his third pitch, he flew out to left to end the inning.

After not scoring in the bottom of the inning, we went back out on the field. Stepping in was the cleanup man, Adam LaRoche. I quickly struck him out in three pitches, then moved to Xavier Nady, who had been having a good season so far. I was able to strike him out looking in six pitches. Jose Bautista followed with a groundout to second to end the inning.

Again we failed to score in the bottom of the inning. So we stepped back on for the third. First up was Ronnie Paulino, who grounded out to short. Next was Jack Wilson, who grounded out to second for the second out. Paul Maholm, the pitcher, stepped in next, grounding out to me to end the inning.

I came up to bat in the bottom of the inning with nobody on and two outs. After taking the first pitch for a strike, I hit a hard grounder to first which was easily taken care of by LaRoche to end the inning.

No runs the bottom of the third. Again. Back to the mound I went to face McLouth to start the fourth. McLouth grounded out to second for the first out. Sanchez followed with a groundout to first for the second out. Bay was next, grounding out to short to end the inning.

No run support yet. Going into the top of the fifth, the game was still tied at 0-0. Leading off the inning for the Pirates was LaRoche, who grounded out to third. Nady was next, grounding out to short. Bautista followed with a groundout to first to end the inning.

Is it normal for a team to not score in the first five innings against someone like Paul Maholm? Cause we didn't. We went to the top of the sixth still scoreless. First up was Paulino, who I was able to strike out swinging. Wilson followed with a groundout to short. Maholm struck out swinging to end the inning.

I was set to lead off the bottom of the sixth for my team. I took the first pitch and hit a weak liner to right-center for a single. Christian Guzman followed with one of his own to move me up to second. Lastings Milledge then popped up to short for the first out. Ryan Zimmerman came up and hit a sacrifice bunt to move us forward. Unfortunately, Nick Johnson grounded out to end the inning.

I came on to start the seventh against McLouth, who grounded out to second, making it one away. Sanchez was next, striking out swinging. Bay followed with a pop-up to the catcher to end the inning.

No run support came in the bottom of the inning, so we entered the eighth still scoreless. LaRoche led off with a strikeout swinging. Nady followed with the same for two away. Bautista was next, grounding out to first to end the inning.

I came up in the bottom of the inning with nobody on and one out. After looking at a few, I grounded out to short.

I came back on for the ninth to face Paulino, who struck out swinging. Wilson followed with a groundout to second for the second out. But then Mr. Acta pulled me! I had pitched 8 2/3 perfect innings!!! But it was not to be. We ended up playing a tight game and losing 1-0 in 14 innings.

Anyways, I ended up pitching 8 2/3 perfect innings before being pulled, striking out 9. Mr. Acta was extremely impressed by my performance, raving about the amazing job I had done. But he told me privately that he pulled me cause I looked gassed and it didn't look like we were gonna score anytime soon.

I was extremely proud of my performance, though upset I didn't get any run support. Again. It's as if I'm suffering a curse.

Paul lo Duca, my catcher, came up to me as I left and invited me to come get some dinner with him. I gladly accepted. We went to a Buffalo Wild Wings nearby and had a good chat.

"So Pedro," said Paul, "you're one of the best young pitchers I've seen roll through in a while. Possibly the best I've seen."

"Thanks, man," I replied, flattered. "I just wish I had a little run support, to be honest."

"Definitely," he agreed. "You had a gem of a game today. I'm gonna do my best to make sure you get that run support from now on."

"Thanks," I said. "It would help me out a lot."

Then our wings got there and we chowed down. It felt great being able to start working towards a good friendship with my catcher.

I ended up going to sleep early that night, wiped from the game.

Well... That was an interesting game. Perfect through 8 2/3 until I got pulled. No run support. Gah! :evil: :evil: :evil:

The total is now 37 1/3 innings with only 3 runs of support.