Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reaching for the Stars ~ Yokohama Dī-Enu-Ē Beisutāzu (V13)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:40 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '07: Don't Own
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (Vita) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
To keke-chan - #1 baybros bretheren, and tweav-kun - my Pawapuro and writing sensei
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My first JPPY log, using the 2013 version on the Vita! I deliberated on how I want to do this and what team, and I ended up picking star's favorite NPB club - the Baystars - over the Carp. This came about after I was embraced a wave of Japanese influences in the past year or so: Phoenix Wright, Persona, aforementioned friends here, and ultimately even attempting to learn the language itself. I knew then I was destined to at some point join Tweav and PPJ, among others, into the JPPY world and try one of the games myself. Franchise mode and controlling the management side has been an passion to me in sports games for a while now, so it's only natural I go for another log.

I want to declare right off the bat that this will probably be barebones at first and maybe entirely - so although I like to think I'm a decent writer there won't be huge storytelling going on. I'm just not that imaginative, guys! I will attempt to put in good detail and forethought into my updates to make up for that slight. Maybe I'll even throw in my some of my intermediate learning of Japanese words so far, hah. That said, for now we'll stick to my control of the Baystars on and off the field, playing and managing. I'm open to recommendations if you guys want to be involved in some form (agents, players, scouts, advisors maybe?).

Background and roster to come in next post. Thanks for checking this out. ^____^

Last edited by philliesfan134 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Reaching for the Stars ~ Yokohama Dī-Enu-Ē Beisutāzu (V1
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:21 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Wii and DS
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
Ayyy, nice to see another JPPY log, Nick!

http://www.powerprotranslation.com/ this is a hugebig help to get you used to the menus and errything

Godspeed kiddo

Money can't buy life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:23 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Powerprosfan31 wrote:
Ayyy, nice to see another JPPY log, Nick!

http://www.powerprotranslation.com/ this is a hugebig help to get you used to the menus and errything

Godspeed kiddo

way ahead of ye! used it to change settings and player names so far, hopefully will come in handy as we get into this.

I learned from the best yo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:14 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
FINALLY YOU MADE IT NICK
Ditto to tweav, nice seeing jppy log and it was your first time, but whooo hoooo it's rare to see real NPB team log so really nice great yo!
And yep it was my baybros so i'm happy with it of course.

はしれ すすめ ゆうきだして
やっちゃった でもね くじけないで
わっはっは そうさ えがおみせてよ
なみだ なんて ばいばばいさ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:41 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

StarKK wrote:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
FINALLY YOU MADE IT NICK
Ditto to tweav, nice seeing jppy log and it was your first time, but whooo hoooo it's rare to see real NPB team log so really nice great yo!
And yep it was my baybros so i'm happy with it of course.

Thanks, keke. You and Tweav were two of the top driving forces behind me starting this.

Of course I would have liked to get this off the ground tonight but editing names has been taking awhile.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:28 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Cubs
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Heyyyyyyyyyy, good to see ya getting into the Japanese games! Good luck, phillies! ;)

"Just because something's impossible doesn't mean it can't be done." - Medley
"Look Beyond The F*** It™" - Benjamin Zander
"Potatoes are wannabe vegetables!" - Leila Takagi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:32 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Zumikaku wrote:
Heyyyyyyyyyy, good to see ya getting into the Japanese games! Good luck, phillies! ;)

thaaaanks, zumi. appreciate the acknowledgement of daniel-san, a forum vet himself.

meanwhile, background update incoming :O

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:55 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

BayStars Background

Yokohama's BayStars have been in the NPB since their establishment in 1950. They've gone through five name changes up until 2011 and are just now finding their new identity as DeNA's representative. They changed from Taiyo Whales to Taiyo-Shochiku Robins, then Yo-Sho Robins back to the Whales, added Yokohama to the front, and finally the DeNA Baystars. Originally, they were considered the Taiyo Fishing Company in the '30s, finally breaking out of the amateur team mold with a National Sports Festival victory in 1948. They've played in Yokohama Stadium since 1978. Previously, the team was settled at Shimonoseki Stadium, Osaka Stadium, and Kawasaki Stadium.

Our mascot is a cute hamster with a bright star-face entitled DB. Starman. The little guy even has his own cap merchandise for the fans to don, and a profile on our website community to boot.

Also worth mentioning is that we play in the Central League; I'll go more in-depth about our conference opposition later. The two occasions when the Baystars took the CL pennant lead to eventual Japan Series triumphs. The first was a 4-game sweep over the Daimai Orions (later Chiba Lotte Marines) in 1960, and the second a 4-2 series win versus the Seibu Lions in 1998. The latter was reputable for their Machine Gun offense, especially for possessing fielders with supreme batting averages - 2B Bobby Rose (.325), OF Takanori Suzuki (.337), and foreleader Takuro Ishii (.314) included. The Daimajin (Great Demon God) - closer Kazuhiro Sasaki - shattered records for most saves in a season (45) and career saves (over 193) that same year, all while maintaining a 0.64 ERA. The future Seatle Mariners import also claimed the 1998 MVP Award and a Best Nine spot for the Central League's best pitcher, which is usually reserved for starters.

While we're discussing BayStars greats, let's brush up on a few more Yokohoma legends. 193-game winner Noboru Akiyama and 1B/3B Makoto Matsubara - who slugged 301 HRs in the 60s-70s - top the list. Middle infielder Yutaka Takagi finished with a career .297 average, topping .300 eight times.

When you look past the epic '98 championship campaign, you begin to realize that this team has been in a major standings slump for over 8 years. The season-by-season records sheet shows no placings higher than 4th since 2005, and none approaching 2nd over the past decade and a half. In 2012, the Baystars finished 6th - or dead-last - in the Central League with a horrendous 46-85 W-L. We're going to look to turn that misfortune around in the fresh new year of 2013.

To bring a general atmosphere which MLB fans can grasp and relate to, let's compare them to American clubs. NPB Tracker owner Patrick Newman and Japan Times writer Jason Coskrey both conclude that they are very similar to the San Diego Padres of all 30 MLB squads. Both are hard on their luck and have a fair share of cellar-dwelling finishes since their inception, but have a long-standing history in their respective leagues. Perhaps we might also consider a Cubbies comparison, for sharing a seemingly endless title drought (at least before 1998 for the Baystars), and a belief regarding curses mammals placed on them affecting the team to this day. It's a fact that some superstitious fans figured that dead whales owned by the Maruhara Company prevented them from gaining Japan Series trophies.

That aside, it can be agreed that just 12 winning seasons in an almost 63-year history is an injustice that will require a huge shift in roster, strategy, and organizational thinking. New ownership and management (myself) might be a factor in that team-wide alteration.

Last edited by philliesfan134 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:54 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

you do a lot of researching and as baybros fan, i'm proud of you.
1998 was their conquer year man, the year i was born is their year. (althought yeah... 12 winning seasons in 63-years kinda pathetic)
also notice that before DB Starman, there's Hosshey

はしれ すすめ ゆうきだして
やっちゃった でもね くじけないで
わっはっは そうさ えがおみせてよ
なみだ なんて ばいばばいさ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:29 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Baystars Coaching Staff & Scouts

Prior to this 2013 season it was figured that Yui Tomori (pitching coach), Toshio Haru (batting coach), and Toshifumi Baba (defense/baserunning coach) would assume their positions. However, I've made a wholesale sweep and brought in a new crop of assistants. Of course, I've replaced Kiyoshi Nakahata as manager of the staff.

Hitting coach Tanigawa-san has a C grade in analysis, and a B in training. We'll carry him through 2014 for 3000P. It would appear he's had infield assignments, because he's capable of passing down Tough Out and Double Play Delete.

Pitching coach Miyashita-sama has a C grade in teaching and a B in analysis. He's under contract for 5000 P for 1 year. Miyashita specializes in working with hard-throwing pitchers, and can help them learn Power P or a splitter. He also has experience with the cut fastball.

Defense & baserunning coach Kaga-san has a B grade in teaching and a C in analysis. We signed him to a 1 yr/3000P deal. He'll be tasked with the catchers especially, cultivating Gd Block and Stability Up.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for the scouting department, we've allocated the duties between native Japan and the United States. In the past, director of international operations Shun Kakazu employed 1-3 full-time stateside scouts. Luis Lopez covered AAA's International League while Lyle Yates observed the Pacific Coast League, its other half.

Domestic scout Sawano has a discovery rating of B and an investigation rating of B. He'll scour the Koshien and the Tokyo Big 6 collegiate league for the best local talent. Sawano will be invested in Shakaijin, or first-class citizens; whether that means elder players from university I'm not entirely sure.

Overseas scout Yoshitake has an investigation rating of B and a discovery rating of C. He'll travel to the west to look at gaijins hoping for an opportunity, perhaps from the MLB level, minor leagues, or independents. We've got him locked in for 1 year at 3500P. Yoshitake will try his hand at acquiring the next hoshuu star along the way - as it turns out there are very few or no Americans playing the position here in the NPB.

Last edited by philliesfan134 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:53 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '08: Wii and DS
Oh damn, I never knew those stats were for teaching and analysis. Good 2 kno

Thanks, Nick c:

Money can't buy life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:54 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Powerprosfan31 wrote:
Oh damn, I never knew those stats were for teaching and analysis. Good 2 kno

Thanks, Nick c:

nor did I! :>

we can thank powerprotranslation for all their guidance

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:05 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

The coach of course have the stats.

Hoping Yoshitake will be okay in America there and bring some American goods(the gaijins)

はしれ すすめ ゆうきだして
やっちゃった でもね くじけないで
わっはっは そうさ えがおみせてよ
なみだ なんて ばいばばいさ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:59 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Baystars Batters

ImageImageImage

OF Nyjer Morgan 32 y/o (6 yrs pro)
3/C/C/A/D/C/E
vsLefty2 Stealing2 GdBunt GdIfHtr Whiff Agg Stl Consistency2
AggDef FirstballHtr PatientHtr Tough Runner
The administrator of Morgantown is an outlandish speedster with a good glove. He had 6 years of experience in the MLB stealing bases and throwing up hand signs among other tomfoolery. We'll value his quickness and aggression at the top of the lineup, and his boisterous personality will get the guys fired up. The former National is trying to play his way back into the majors so he is motivated.

OF Sho Aranami 27 y/o (2 yrs pro)
3/F/E/A/C/B/D
Clutch4 Stealing4 FirstballHtr
Aranami is a traditional fielding-first OF who will rely on his cleats more than his bat. The Tokai University graduate should fit alright as a lefty #2 hitter with room to develop on that skill.

3B/1B Nohiro Nakamura 39 y/o (21 yrs pro)
3/C/B/F/D/D/C
vsLefty4 DPProne AggBRun AggDef
The 4-time Gold Glover and 8-time All-Star is a Buffaloes legend, having spent 13 season with Kintetsu. One of only 16 ballplayers to accumulate 400 homers in the NPB, he racked up 40 HRs and 100 RBIs for six straight seasons (1992-2004). In the mid 2000s, he dipped into the Meja League waters twice - with the Dodgers and Mets - before returning to his glory in 2007 to collect a Japan Series MVP with Chunichi. This is probably his last chance to pad his Hall of Fame resume before riding off into the sunset; I'm hoping to send him elsewhere and receive a younger power hitter in return. It's slightly concerning that he'll be the #3 hitter and therefore technically the best in the lineup.

1B/DH Tony Blanco 32 y/o (5 yrs pro)
4/B/A/E/D/F/F
Clutch4 vsLefty2 PowerHtr Throwing2 MultiHit
Whiff Slugger AggHtr AggRun AggDef
The slugger manning ichi-rui was once a top prospect traded for Rockies star Todd Walker. He never made it further than a Rule 5 draft pick with Washington, but became lauded for his vast power when jumping ship to the Dragons in 2009. Blanco rose into a Central League All-Star immediately, winning the Home Run derby his debut season. As the cleanup hitter he'll be trusted to knock in plenty of runs, and he has certainly shown capable of that.

OF Hitoshi Tamura 36 y/o (16 yrs pro)
3/F/C/D/C/B/C
Clutch4 Throwing4 Durability2 WalkOffHtr
ComebackO PinchHtrO
Tamura has been around the ben for a while, starting with Yokohama in 1997 and staying there until joining Softbank in 2007. He's back for a second turn with the Baystars, bringing a knack for the clutch and veteran leadership. I'm not super comfortable with our #5 batter known for his late-game heroics more than anything else.

OF/DH Alex Ramirez 38 y/o (16 yrs pro)
4/G/C/F/E/G/G
Clutch4 Error Prone Consistency 2
DPProne ComebackO Slugger AggHtr
Ramirez is still swinging it even 12 years on in Japan, and having been qualified for the Meikyukai club (one of very choice few Western imports to do so). His list of accolades since leaving the Indians for Yakult in 2000 are boundless. He's won the Japan Series in 2001 and 2009, reached Best Nine 4 times, been named Central League MVP twice, and landed on the All-Star team 8 times. The peak achievement will be becoming the first foreigner to attain 2000 hits in the NPB. It's expected that he'll retire soon after hitting that mark, choosing to start coaching and serving his own Puerto Rican cuisine at the Ramichan Cafe. We're going to pull out every ounce of power the Venezuelan luminary has left.

2B/IF Noriharu Yamazaki 26 y/o (4 yrs pro)
2/E/D/D/D/D/D
W/RISP4 Agg Run
The young Yamazaki is getting his first opportunity to start after four years of struggling under the Mendoza line off the bench. He is essentially average all around but we're looking forward to growing the Yokohoma Shoka product into a useful starting fielder.

C Kazunari Tsuruoka 35 y/o (12 yrs pro)
2/E/D/E/C/D/D
W/RISP4
Backstop Tsuruoka was drafted originally in 1995 and broke out in 2004 with a .400 average in 25 games, which surely convinced the team to get him more involved. He was traded to Yomiuri in 2008, and didn't sustain a first-string role until his return to Yokohama in 2012. He's passable but has not played more than 102 games ever and rarely hits home runs, so trusting him with the catcher job will be questionable to say the least. A spot we could consider upgrading with a talent possessing more upside.

SS/2B Takehiro Ishikawa 26 y/o (7 yrs pro)
1/E/E/B/E/D/F
IfHtrO FirstballHtr TableSetter Whiff
SlapHtr PatientHtr GdEye PinchRunner
Ishikawa (not Travis) has filled a position with the BayStars since the tender age of 21, garnering more ABs in 2008 and onward. He looks the part of a contact hitter, surpassing .280 two times in the past three years. The lefty middle infielder from the nearby high school doesn't stand out, but he does his task well. We may need him or Nori-kun to step up if we are to really make a push to contention.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C Shuto Takajo 19 y/o (rookie)
3/G/E/D/B/D/D
Whiff
Takajo is a ruukii who will be asked to maintain the backup post to Kaz-san, and his particular strength is a powerful throwing arm. He's coming off a 45-game stint in 2012 with a discouraging .170/.254/.198 slash line. This year will be an important one towards deciding if he is a kyatcha to keep an eye on for the future.

SS/2B Takayuki Kajitani 24 y/o (3 yrs pro)
2/E/E/B/C/D/E
Stealing2 PatientHtr AggStl GdEye
Kaisei High's Kajitani will be the bench's infield relief, with relative speed and fielding ability. He slugged to a .179 average last season when given 252 at-bats to work with. He's youthful enough to vie for one of shortstop/second base at some point.

3B Hiroyuki Shirasaki 22 y/o (rookie)
3/E/E/D/C/E/E
vsLefty2
2012 draftee Shirasaki would probably like to be active on the diamond but he's not quite there yet as a batter yet. I like his chances to be our san-rui down the line after training, chiefly due to the decreasing mobility of Naka-sama and lack of any real competition.

3B Yoshitomo Tsutsugo 22 y/o (3 yrs pro)
4/F/C/D/D/E/G
vsLefty2 Throwing2 Durability2 Whiff
Consistency2 Pinch Hitter
Tsutsugo was promoted in 2010 and made his mark in 2012 with 10 bombs in 108 games, although he struck out 102 times. To that end he would seem to be a risk/reward, go-big-or-go-home type as a prospect early on. Besides his whiffs he has several other drawbacks, but if those are corrected he could be a big source of power from the hot corner.

2B/SS Kensuke Uchimura 27 y/o (5 yrs pro)
1/F/E/A/D/B/D
vsLefty2 Stealing2 BRun4 GdBunt
SlapHtr GdSmlBall AggStl AggDef
defensive specialist
Uchimura began with Rakuten after attending Yamanashi Gakuin High, where he amassed a .440 AVG between 2010-11. Apart from that he has been relegated to being a sub who excels at utilizing his swiftness and can play outfield in a pinch. If nothing else he'll put it all on the line - playing hard on both sides and dropping a bunt when needed.

OF Keijiro Matsumoto 26 y/o (4 yrs pro)
2/E/D/B/B/D/D
vsLefty2 FirstballHtr CautStl
defensive specialist
All-lefty Matsumoto is waiting to break in at age 26, toiling since being drafted out of Waseda University. He may shatter the glass ceiling if an outfielder is shipped elsewhere, but for now he'll provide speed and defense similar to other Baystar youngsters.

OF Tatsuhiko Kinjo 36 y/o (14 yrs pro)
2/C/D/C/C/B/B
Stealing2 PinchHtrO AggDef CautStl
BasesLoadedHtr GdSmlBall Pinch Hitter
Kinjo piqued my interest with solid skills from top to bottom but his potential has topped off at 36, so it would perhaps be best to give him an opening with another club. He's been a good soldier since 1999, winning the Central League batting title and Rookie of the Year in 2000. The son of Akiyo approached the team hits record (191) in 2005, receiving a Gold Glove the same season. All that said, Kinjo has slowed down in his 30s but could still fulfill a pinch hitter duty; he adds lineup flexibility by batting switch.

Last edited by philliesfan134 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:25 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Cubs
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Just caught up on this. Lookin' real nice, phillies ;)

I've never seen the coaching system before. What do the Analysis and Teaching ratings affect?

Also, everyone on your team is either really young or really old :lol:

"Just because something's impossible doesn't mean it can't be done." - Medley
"Look Beyond The F*** It™" - Benjamin Zander
"Potatoes are wannabe vegetables!" - Leila Takagi