Post subject: 2018 Success Mode
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:17 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
I guess since there hasn't been any topics at all relating to it, there probably aren't many people playing it so nobody would know anything, but I'll make a topic for it anyway.

I pretty much just started the mode, didn't get very far, and all I've noticed so far is that, if my understanding is correct, the game will delete your data upon loading it. If that understanding is correct (I didn't verify it because I would rather not start over, finding the Kanji I was looking for in the name took way too long), does that mean that there's no reloading the game for better outcomes in this success mode? I don't know if that's been normal for the Japanese games for a while or not because this is the first one I imported, but that's a pretty massive difference from Success Mode in MLBPP 2008, where I could never even successfully finish a player without abusing that.

Hopefully if reloading for better outcomes isn't a thing, it's at least easy to pass the mode, like in MLBPP07, rather than being like MLBPP08, in which case I would have no hope.

Quote:
Hello
Though I am not a coach, I can coach, please trust me!

Post subject: Re: 2018 Success Mode
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:27 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
If I remember right, many of the JPPY games have that function where you can't S/L. Unfortunately that would also mean you'd have to pass the mode in one run through every time.

I did pre-order 2018 but haven't gotten it yet (It may have shipped but not to the address where I'm currently living).

NAPOLI FOR MVP

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

post count doesn't matter

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:09 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I guess if the rest of the mode is accommodating enough to not being allowed to reload, it could be a good thing, since it would remove pressure from trying to create the "perfect" player, knowing that it won't happen anyway. If there are events as random and significant as Dr. Goodjob, or arcs super-reliant on tons of random events like the custom pitch in MLBPP07 though, that's just cruel.

Edit: Looking at items, it seems like there's one that makes a certain Dr. appear unconditionally. I'm not sure if that should terrify me.

Well, looks like there's another item that makes the surgery have a 100% success rate, I guess items must exist to help make things a bit less random if you need them to be, since you can't just reload for the luck. Although how difficult the items are to get is unknown to me.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:13 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Well, at the very least, I can say succeeding at the mode is harder than MLBPP07 success mode, the first player I was making, after over 9 hours, failed, despite playing pretty well in nearly every game. It's really brutal to have the entirety of your progress deleted into nothingness after that because normal saving isn't a thing.

I can't seem to find any obvious indication of what the conditions to pass even are, I'd have to assume it has something to do with scout evaluation, but I can't say for sure at all.

Well, hopefully I can figure out how to get players to pass at some point. There aren't any sites like this one that provide information on the Japanese games, are there? Obviously it wouldn't be in English, but I couldn't find one at all.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:11 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

cooldude1045 wrote:
Well, at the very least, I can say succeeding at the mode is harder than MLBPP07 success mode, the first player I was making, after over 9 hours, failed, despite playing pretty well in nearly every game. It's really brutal to have the entirety of your progress deleted into nothingness after that because normal saving isn't a thing.

I can't seem to find any obvious indication of what the conditions to pass even are, I'd have to assume it has something to do with scout evaluation, but I can't say for sure at all.

Well, hopefully I can figure out how to get players to pass at some point. There aren't any sites like this one that provide information on the Japanese games, are there? Obviously it wouldn't be in English, but I couldn't find one at all.

yikes,,, I'm not sure! There was a translation site but they stopped after like 2012 iirc. Once I get the game I can try to help out though.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:33 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Next I'm going to try to make a power hitter, if the MLBPP games are any indication, those are basically easy mode to pass with because everyone loves a power hitter. I also put the difficulty on the easiest setting to make games even easier to perform in, I'm hoping that doesn't negatively impact evaluation points gained from games, it mentions it does lower experience from games if you play on that difficulty. I'm also planning to go all out to raise points with the scout, so if this guy fails, either scout evaluation isn't the only important thing, or standards are stupidly high.

I'm also going to try to put some things I learned in that first playthrough to use. For example, it seems like if you visit the dog, you can consistently get free items, I used it a ton with that character, however, almost none of those items seemed to actually be worth using up that opportunity on it when you could do something else instead. Would be nice if there was information available on what all these choices do, I might want to make some notes on some if they wind up not being random. Like, you can visit a Hamburger shop and choose between 5+ menu items, it would be nice to figure out what they all do, especially considering there's no money system here.

---

I think this player will probably fail too, it's certainly off to a terrible start, I've barely done anything but I've already got insomnia on 3 separate occasions, seems like every time I finally get over the effects of it, I get it immediately again.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:23 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Partway through this playthrough I started roughly documenting choices made and what the outcomes were. I don't know how useful that'll be overall, from what I can see, there are many choices that don't change anything except some dialogue, and other choices you can make that seem to not have consistent outcomes. At the very least though, I hope the information can be useful in avoiding objectively bad choices, the ones that have only negative effects, but even then, I wouldn't know if the choice also has a random chance to have a positive outcome instead.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:03 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

If enough of us get the game we could maybe try to make some sort of a guide.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:22 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

My guess is that scout eval is probably still the major thing determining whether you pass at the end or not, I just finished a player successfully, he was absolutely terrible and got drafted in the 9th round. Through this playthrough, he had insomnia on 3 separate occasions, a toothache once, and a failed operation by a certain suspicious looking doctor of questionable qualifications.

I also found at the start that you can only bring in one item in when making a player, so you can't just take the item that guarantees the doctor will appear and the one that guarantees his operation will be successful, you'd have to pick one and hope for the best.

Also, I'm not sure I understand how passwords work now that I finished him. I can't see any way to find a full password for any players, if such a thing exists, there is a code number I thought might replace passwords, but when I was looking for where to put in that number, I found a spot to input passwords, so either they exist somehow, or that section is for importing players from different games. I did find where to input the numbers to add other people's players though, but it costs the in-game currency to import players into your game through that, so I'm not sure any players I made would even be worth posting.

---

At least I have a successful player now, he's nowhere near as good as the player that failed though. I think my failed player was DEAFFF ratings while the successful player wound up with D power when the whole playthrough was focused on him being a power hitter.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:22 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

In case anyone else gets the game and wants information for it, I did wind up finding a site:
https://gamewith.jp/pawapuro2018/

This site does have a lot of the information I was looking for, and at a glance, it seemed to make the notes I was taking obsolete, but on closer inspection, there are a lot of events where it doesn't have all of the outcomes noted. I'm also unable to find any clear information on what the conditions of passing the mode even are, I'm not sure if it's because the information isn't there, or if it's just that I can't find it.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:48 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Athletics
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Reading this topic is making me not want to get this game. I assumed success would be a lot like it was in 2012, but it sounds like it's changed so much and doesnt really sound fun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2017 and 2018 MLBPPW Fantasy Football League Champion

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:08 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I guess I'll keep taking the notes I have been for personal use, and it'll be focused more on filling in things that aren't listed on that site, like other options and outcomes. Also, I thought that elimination games in the mode would just be complete luck all the way through, but I guess if the team wins a couple, the other games give you options where you can have a lot more control over the actual outcome of the game, although I think bad luck could still screw you over with any option.

I'll probably just make another player or two with this success mode option for now, and then move on to the next school, because I'm curious about where the other stories will go. I've started to get the hang of the game to an extent, but I still have no idea how to make actual good players with no option to save/reload. I wish there were videos up of the creation of good players, so I could see how exactly it's done.

If anyone does get the game, I can upload a file for the notes I'm taking, but as a warning, since they are just for personal use, they aren't really consistently formatted in any way or anything like that, I may want to organize them somehow later, especially when I need to take notes for the other success mode stories, but I don't even know how different those are yet.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:29 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

cooldude1045 wrote:
I guess I'll keep taking the notes I have been for personal use, and it'll be focused more on filling in things that aren't listed on that site, like other options and outcomes. Also, I thought that elimination games in the mode would just be complete luck all the way through, but I guess if the team wins a couple, the other games give you options where you can have a lot more control over the actual outcome of the game, although I think bad luck could still screw you over with any option.

I'll probably just make another player or two with this success mode option for now, and then move on to the next school, because I'm curious about where the other stories will go. I've started to get the hang of the game to an extent, but I still have no idea how to make actual good players with no option to save/reload. I wish there were videos up of the creation of good players, so I could see how exactly it's done.

If anyone does get the game, I can upload a file for the notes I'm taking, but as a warning, since they are just for personal use, they aren't really consistently formatted in any way or anything like that, I may want to organize them somehow later, especially when I need to take notes for the other success mode stories, but I don't even know how different those are yet.

I got my copy today and will probably be able to play it next week.

Gotta say Google Translate was not very helpful trying to read the site you linked,,,,

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:57 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I hadn't tried that site with a machine translation, but trying it now, it's actually a lot better than I expected it to be. It's pretty reasonable overall, there are some things definitely wrong, but it'd still be easier to understand than the game itself.

Names are one thing I think machine translation will probably always fail miserably at:
(Hey, I mean, at least it got Crow and Wakana well enough)

I was also amused at the redundant: "It is important to win in a match and win"

---

Also, starting the second success mode school option, haven't got very far and it will be slow going since I like to play at a pace where I can understand what's happening and try to avoid being overwhelmed.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:23 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Athletics
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Temple temple and multipurpose mouth omg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2017 and 2018 MLBPPW Fantasy Football League Champion