Post subject: San Jose Riptide
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:02 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
I’ve tried twice now to do a season log with a story attached to it and, much to my disappointment, I don’t have enough hours in my days to be able to wade through playing games and trying to stay on top of a story line. I just don’t have the time. However, I still enjoy my retro gaming (Yes, I consider MLBPP ’08 retro), and I do have time to do a simple season log.

I’m bringing back the San Jose Riptide from my old MLBPP ’07 log, though the team is going to look a bit different. Rather than filling my roster with greybars and taking the time to create players, I’m just going to edit my players to fill out both my MLB and AAA rosters. There are going to be some familiar names attached to the team though. I went back through all my logs from past years and pulled names of players from those teams, including edited, created, created players that I never used and greybars, and used their names to fill out my roster. Their abilities are the only things that won’t carry over since I’ll be assigning new attributes and reassigning some players to new positions. I also came up with a new system to keep my players from being overpowered and will only be handing out a handful of blue abilities, most of which will be of the defensive variety.
I still have to create/edit my team but, I should have this log started and the first game posted this weekend since I do have some rare free time.

For those of you who were following along with my Roadrunners log: It’s not going to be 100% dead. While there won’t be any game log updates, I’m planning on playing the story line out as I had intended to. When I have time I’m going to be writing up new chapters and hopefully getting that story finished out.

Post subject: Re: San Jose Riptide
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:18 am 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

The sale of the new expansion San Jose Riptide was completed yesterday as the bid was won by RC Cola CEO Carbon Fizz. Fizz wasted little time rebranding his stadium as well, renaming it to RC Field (Chase Field). Mr. Fizz also made the quick move of naming former Pelicans GM/Manager Scott0530 to the same position on his club.
“Wasn’t his fault Jacksonville sucked, they had no talent.” Fizz shot at reporters after they were critical of his decision.
“Of course I’m glad to have a second shot to run a team.” Scott0530 said. “Sure beats installing TV, Internet and phone for the last… wait… what year is it again?”
San Jose takes over for the Marlins, who folded this off season, and will play out of the AL West. The Tampa Bay Rays will move to the NL East to keep the leagues balanced, and Detroit moves to the AL East.

Roster Creation

Building a competitive roster
All I wanted to do when I built this team was to create a roster that I could at least compete with. So I figured the best way to do that was to keep the overall feel of the team “average.” What I mean by that is, if you took the overall abilities of my team, they would all come out to be average. If you took my starting lineup, rotation and bullpen and averaged out their abilities, it would look like this:
Lineup: TRJ 2.4, CON 8, PWR 110, SPD 8.5, ARM 9.5, FLD, 8.5, ERES 9
Pitching staff: Fastball 95, CTL 133, Start STAM 130, Relief STAM 50

My bench players and AAA players I edited as fairly as I could and tried to under power them on purpose if I could. I also tried to not get crazy assigning breaking pitches, as well to my pitchers, since it felt impossible to come up with a happy medium.

Five Man Rotation
I’m old school in my approach to starting pitcher, I like them to go 7+ every start and start every five days. This game doesn’t allow it so I’ll be following Jag’s advice and pull them, reluctantly, after 6.2 IP.

Training & Trades
I can train all my players but no equipment upgrades year 1 (LOL) since I created a competitive roster. I can’t trade for a bat. If I make a trade it has to be for a pitcher or defense/ speed.

MISC
I drink way to much soda. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:55 pm 
Ace
Ace

You can pitch your pitcher until he starts sweating, so if he's pitching well, he can go 7+ while still being ready for his next start.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:44 am 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

San Jose Riptide 2008 Roster

Starting Lineup
1. Willie Hayes - CF S/L, 2/D8/D110/B12/D9/D9/D8: Stealing
2. AJ Wright - LF L/L, 2/D8/D105/B12/D9/D9/D8: 2nd Position
3. Eric Cressend - 3B R/R, 3/C10/C130/D8/C10/D8/D8: GD Morale
4. Mario Cirelli - 1B L/L, 3/C10/B145/E7/E6/E7/D8: Clutch Hit (4)
5. Zack Goodwin - DH R/R, 3/D8/D115/F5/E6/F5/F5
6. Kyle Garrett - RF L/L, 3, D8/C120/D9/D9/E7/D8: Throwing
7. Nick DiRosa - C R/R, 2/E7/D105/E6/C11/C10/C10: Great Catcher
8. Dominic Mazza - SS R/R, 2/E7/E85/C11/B12/C10/C10: Gold Glove
9. Dave Kester - 2B R/R, 2, E6/F80/C10/C10/D8/D8: Pivot Man

Bench
Wally Richard - 2B,SS,3B R/R, 1/F4/E87/D9/D8/E7/D8
Dean Bannister - 1B L/L, 2/E6/E92/F4/D8/E7/D8
Jethro Smith - C R/R, 1/F4/F64/F5/D9/E7/D8
Jason Cerros - OF S/L, 1, F4/F70/C10/E7/E6/E7

Starting Rotation
1. Ryan Dunne L/97/C143/A150/DCB4/SLD4/2SF2: DR.K, Groundball, Consistency, GD Pace
2. Nathan Stringer R/96/C137/B140/FRK4/KCB3/SLD2: Groundball, Consistency, GD Pace
3. Francisco Suarez L/95/C137/B130/SCB3/CHG3/CUT2: VS. Lefty (4), Spin, GD Pace
4. Kenny Baymore R/94/D124/B120/VSL3/CB3/SLD1: Safe Pitch, GD Pace
5. Dae-Ho Park R/93/D124/B110/CB3/CHG3/SNK1: Spin, GD Pace

Bullpen
Ryan Hiller SW, L/93/E117C90/CB3/CHG2: Recovery
Hector Cantos RP, R/92/D125/E50/SNK3/SPL2
Jeff Lake RP, L/93/D130/E50/SCB3/CHG2
Oscar Solar RP, L/94/D130/E50/SLD3/SPL2
Juan Morales RP, R/95/C136/E50/SNK3/CHG2
Ezra Wallach RP, R/96/C136/E50/SPL3/CB2
Roger Jamrich CL, R/97/C140/E50/DCB4/SLD3: DR.K, Groundball

Seaside Surf AAA
Randy Velarde 2B/SS, R/R, 1/G2/F50/D9/D8/E7/D8
Jim Leyritz 3B/1B, R/R, 2/E7/D102/F4/F4/E6/E6
Matt Nokes C, R/R, 2 F5/D100/G2/D8/E6/F5
Gerald Williams OF, L/L, 1/F4/F70/C10/E7/E6/E6

Scott Kaminicki SP, R, 92/E110/B112/CB3/SLD1/CHG1
Jim Abbott P,L, F107/C92/SLD2/SCB2
Erick Plunk P,R, E115/C90/CB2/SPL1
Steve Howe P, L F105/D68/SLD2/CB1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:45 am 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

PP27 wrote:
You can pitch your pitcher until he starts sweating, so if he's pitching well, he can go 7+ while still being ready for his next start.

I'll give it a shot and see if I have any luck.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:11 am 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Oakland A's (Harden 0-0) VS. Riptide(Dunne 0-0) 4/1

Game Summary
Ryan Dunne brought a perfect game into the ninth, only to have it broken up by leadoff batter Mike Sweeney.

Turning Point
Four straight singles in the 6th gave the Riptide a 4-0 lead and put the game out of reach for Oakland.

Player of the Game
Ryan Dunne pitched a complete game, 2 hit shutout with 12K and no walks.

Box Score
OAK:0
SJR:4
-----------------------------
WP: Dunne (1-0)
LP: Harden (0-1)
Athletics: M. Sweeney 1-3; Devine 1.2IP, 0H, 2K
Riptide: Cressend 3-5, 2B, 2RBI; Cirelli 2-3, BB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:32 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Boston Red Sox (Lester 0-0) VS. Riptide (Suarez 0-0) 4/4

Game Summary
The Red Sox never stood a chance as Riptide pitching combined for 18 strikeouts.
San Jose hit two home runs in the game, one early and one late, that provided all the offence they would need. Jeff Lake earned the multi-inning save when manager Scott 0530 decided to leave him in the game after a 3-run, 8th inning rally.

Turning Point
With the score still 3-1 in the sixth and one on, Hector Cantos came on in relief and struck out the dangerous Manny Ramirez.

Player of the Game
Francisco Suarez dominated. 5.2 IP, 5H, 13K, 0BB, 1ER

Box Score
BOS:1
SJR:6
WP: Suarez (1-0)
LP: Lester (0-1)
SV: Lake (1)
HR: Wright (1), Cirelli (2)
Red Sox: Lowell 2-4, 2B, RBI; Ellsbury 0-4, 3K
Riptide: Hayes 2-3, 2B, R, SAC, SB; Goodwin 2-4, RBI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:01 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Cressend out with side pains (4/8)
Riptide starting third baseman Eric Cressend will be out of the starting lineup for the next 4-7 days with side pains.
"We're not really sure when Eric hurt his side since he stayed in and finished the game last night." Said manager Scott0530 ahead of tonight's game against the A's. "Randy Velarde will come up from Seaside and he and Wally Richard will split time at third the next few days."

Riptide make roster moves (4/8)
Ryan Hiller made the spot start for San Jose last night and went 6 innings giving up no runs. Hiller was then sent down to AAA Seaside and Jim Abbott was called up to give San Jose a fresh arm out of the bullpen if needed.

"This isn't going to be a long term assignment for Ryan." Said manager Scott0530. "He'll be back up once he's fully rested from making the start last night."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:02 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Riptide (Stringer 1-0) @ Oakland A's (Devine 0-0) 4/9

Game Summary
A two out, ninth inning rally by the Athletics sank a great pitching performance by Nathan Stringer, and San Jose has now lost two in a row. Taking a 3-1 lead into the ninth manager Scott 0530 went with Ezra Wallach to close the game since close Roger Jamrich was unavailable again. "Ezra has pitched great so far this year and just picked a bad time to cough up his first runs of the year." Said manager Scott 0530 after the game.

Eric Cressend hurt in the bottom 3rd trying to break up a double play and was replaced by Randy Velarde.
"We won't know the extent of Eric's injury till tomorrow." Scott0530 said addressing the injury

Turning Point
Mike Sweeney smashed a walk-off, 3 run double to left center giving Oakland the win.

Player of the Game
Mario Cirelli 2-3, 2B, 2RBI, R

Box Score
SJR:3
OAK:4
-------------------------------
WP: Foulke (1-0)
LP: Wallach (0-1)
Riptide: Stringer 7IP, 4H, 9K, 1ER; Kester/ Richard 2-4
Athletics: Sweeney 1-4, 2B, 3RBI, K; Brown 2-4, RBI, R, K

Division Standings
Mariners 6-2
Riptide 6-2
Angels 3-5
Athletics 3-5
Rangers 3-5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:03 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Mazza out three weeks with ankle injury (4/10)
The news was as bad as it could get for San Jose today when they learned they were going to be without starting shortstop Dominic Mazza for about three weeks due to an ankle injury he suffered last night trying to break up a double play.
"It's going to be tough replacing a guy that pays defense that well up the middle." Scott0530 said this afternoon. Mazza was placed on the fifteen day DL and could be back early if his injury progresses. For now, Dave Kester will slide over from second to short and a platoon of Randy Velarde, Wally Richard and Dean Bannister will see time at both third and second, since Eric Cressend is still out a couple more days with side pains.

Riptide recall Hiller, call up Matt Nokes (4/10)
San Jose recalled Ryan Hiller from AAA Seaside and reassigned Jim Abbott.
San Jose has also called up C Matt Nokes to serve as a pinch hitter while Cressend and Mazza recover from injury.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:50 am 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Mariners (Washburn 0-0) VS. Riptide(Park 0-0)

Game Summary
At least they didn't get no hit…
The Riptide offence continues to fight themselves over the last few games, culminating in a 1-0 shutout to Jared Washburn (a 12+ ERA enering the game) and the Mariners last night.
"We need to be more aggressive at the plate." Manager Scott0530 said emphatically. "We're watching to many pitches go by that are hittable."
It also didn't help that both Willie Hayes and AJ Wright were both caught stealing by the light throwing Kenji Johjima as well. San Jose will have to find a way to hit if they want to salvage a game in this series before a travel day off and a 3tree game set in Fenway.

Turning Point
Willie Bloomquvist and Ichiro opened the eighth with back to back singles off Oscar Solar. Solar got Jose Lopez to pop out and Jeff Lake struck out Ibanez and Sexon to keep the game a one run score

Player of the Game
Jared Washburn; CG, 6H, 4K, 0ER

Box Score
SEA:1
SJR:0
WP: Washburn (1-0)
LP: Solar (1-1)
Mariners: Vidro 2-4, RBI 2K; Ibanez 0-4, 3K
Riptide: Park 6IP, 3H, 8K, 0ER; Mazza 1-3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:54 am 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

****Injury Update****
I accidentally reversed the injuries to Mazza and Cressend. Mazza had the side pains and is back on the active roster. Cressend has the ankle injury and is still on the DL.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:39 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Boston Ghost Hunt

Zack finished loading two big, black cases into the trunk of his rental car and waited a few moments before he was joined by Dominic Mazza and Willie Hayes. The three jumped in the car and Zack drove away into the night, leading them on some unknown adventure he had promised while they were in Boston.
“So where are we going anyway? You still haven’t told us what you’re planning.” Willie asked from the back seat.
“It’s an old hotel that used to be a jail back in the day.” Zack replied and paused briefly as he made a turn. “Supposedly it’s extremely haunted and we are going to investigate.”
“Man, I said no to a steak dinner with Mario and Ryan for this?” Willie said disbelievingly.
“I don’t know. Sounds like something fun and different to do. You know I’ve always wanted to ghost hunt at least once.” Dominic replied with a smile. “What made you think of this?”
“I’ve been hunting ghosts since I was a teenager. The guy who runs the paranormal research team I’m still a part of hooked me up with the owner of this hotel.” Zack replied and Willie made a skeptical snort.
“You don’t believe in ghosts?” Dominic asked.
“I tell you what I do believe: Is that I’m going to have a good laugh at you two idiots chasing around things that aren’t there all night.”
They made it to the old jail turned hotel in short time and Zack met the old owner out front. He gave the boys a quick tour of the building, making sure it was empty, before they retrieved Zack’s cases from the trunk and headed back inside. He opened the cases, which contained a video camera, flashlights and a few other ghost hunting tools. He handed out equipment to Dominic and Willie and the trio headed into the hotel.
After walking around for about an hour without a hint of paranormal activity, the group headed to the third floor and emerged onto a hallway lined with doors leading into rooms. The only one who was happy over the lack of activity was Willie, who was grinning smugly.
“I told you guys I was going to enjoy watching you run around talking to nothing.”
“Well, sometimes it takes a while for the spirits to get warmed up.” Zack replied, keeping an eye on his camera as Willie continued to smile.
“Is there anyone up here?” Dominic asked of an unseen spirit.
“Yeah, me and two crazy white dudes.” Willie replied sharply. “Maybe there’s a mouse or something but…”
“Hold on, hold on!” Zack exclaimed softly as he turned his camera at the wall on the opposite side of the hall. “You guys hear that? It sounded like someone knocking.” Dominic said he didn’t hear anything.
“Maybe the mouse is stuck in the wall.” Willie surmised.
“Did you just knock?” Zach asked to no one. “Are you trying to get in that room?”
“I don’t think there’s anyone in there. Is it your room?” Dominic followed up.
There was silence for a few moments when, all of a sudden, the door knob on the door they had been watching turned and the door slowly swung inwards about halfway.
“I guess their warmed up now.” Dominic replied excitedly.
“Thanks for opening the door and letting us know you were here.” Zack said to the ghost as he continued to film. “Can you tell me your name? Is this your room?”
“Hey, Willie, are you ok?” Dominic asked as he saw Willie firmly pressed against the opposite wall. His eyes were wide and his jaw was slack. He looked petrified.
“What the heck was that?” He croaked in a high-pitched scared voice, his eyes locked on the door.
“That was a ghost.” Zack said plainly.
Dominic smiled. “You know, my buddie here doesn’t think you exist, and I think you opening the door is starting to change his mind. Can you close the door and really make him a believer?”
The door held firm. “If not to scare him then maybe for privacy. You wouldn’t want me looking in there with this camera if you were getting dressed.” Zack followed up.
There was a few heartbeats pause before the door slammed shut violently. Zack and Dominic jumped back a bit and Willie let out and unusually high-pitched squeal as it looked like he was about to climb the wall backwards.
“Man, you guys set that up! There’s someone in there and you’re just messing with me.” Willie said trying to rationalize what he saw.
“There’s nobody in there. Watch.” Zack said as he opened the door and walked in the room.
“At least not alive.” Dominic pointed out before he followed. “Come in and look.”
Willie shook his head. “I ain’t going in there.”
“Fine. Then you have no one to help you if a ghost walks up and whispers in your ear.” Dominic shot back and walked in the room.
Willie looked horrified up and down the hall. “Aw hell no.” Willie was about to walk into the room, but screeched horrified again as he ran into the room and hid behind Dominic.
“What?! What happened?” Dominic asked.
“Like you didn’t hear that!” Willie shot sounding annoyed and frightened. “Something screamed in my ear real loud.”
“Where? In the hallway?” Zack asked and looked back into the hall. “Who screamed? Scream again so we can all hear you.” He demanded.
A second, audible scream came from inside the room and startled Zack and Dominic. But it was all Willie could take as he shrieked in fear again and ran for the window and started fumbling with the lock before throwing it open. “That’s it! I’m getting out of here!”
“Wait! Willie! We’re on the third…” Before Zack could finish Willie disappeared from sight, yelling as he fell, followed by a splash.
Dominic and Zack made it to the window just as Willie made the surface of the pool he landed in.
“Dude! Are you ok?” Dominic asked.
“I’ll be fine.” Willie said as he climbed out of the swimming pool and sprawled out on the concrete deck. “I’ll just wait here till you’re done in there.”

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:39 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Abbott, Velarde Recalled (4/14)

After making another spot start a few nights ago, Ryan Hiller has been sent back down to AAA Seaside and Jim Abbott has been recalled to work out of the San Jose pen during the upcoming Red Sox Series. Wally Richard was also sent down (Purple) and Randy Velarde has been recalled and will start at third while Richard is at AAA.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:41 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Riptide (Dunne 1-0) @ Red Sox (Matsuzaka 1-1) 4-15

Game Summary
San Jose didn't score much, but did just enough to back up an incredible start from Ryan Dunne as the Riptide took the first game of a three game set at Fenway.
"Eleven total hits. We need to score more runs when we do that." Manager Scott0530 said, not happy with the offensive effort. The bottom of the order did contribute in the second, string together a few singles and pushing a run across on a Dave Kester RBI single. Mario Cirelli continued his good hitting as he blasted a laser beam over the centerfield wall.

Turning Point
With one out and one on, and San Jose up just one, Dave Kester booted an easy groundball, allowing Ellsbury to reach first. Dunne picked up his second baseman by striking out Youkalis and Ortiz to end the inning.

Player of the Game
Ryan Dunne: 6.2IP, 2H, 13K, 0ER

Box Score
SJR:2
BOS:0
-------------------------------
WP: Dunne (2-0)
LP: Matsuzaka (0-2)
SV: Jamrich (3)
HR: Cirelli (6)
Riptide: Hayes 2-5, SB; Mazza 1-4, 2B, R
Red Sox: Matsuzaka 8IP, 10H, 2ER, 1K; Drew 2-3, K