Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is for discussion of anything EXCEPT MLB Power Pros, if your post does not belong here it will be moved. Thank you.
-->

Post subject: Ultimate Sports Heartbreak Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:19 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Indians
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
So with the Chicago Bears collapsing out of the postseason and winter break coming to a close, I decided to reminisce about the most heartbreaking moments of my life as a sports fan in each sport I follow closely.

Football:
February 4, 2007-Super Bowl XLI: Colts defeat Bears 29-17
Despite taking a 14-0 lead and scoring on one of the most iconic plays in Super Bowl history, the Bears were outscored 29-3 thanks to ineptitude from Rex Grossman and failure of the Tampa 2 defense.

January 23, 2011-NFC Championship Game: Packers defeat Bears 21-14
In a game I attended, the Packers defeated the Bears thanks to an epic opening touchdown drive by Aaron Rodgers and an injury to Bears villain Jay Cutler. The game was capped off by backup QB Caleb Hanie's interception to a defensive tackle.

December 31, 2012: Vikings defeat Packers 37-34
The Bears missed the playoffs despite a 7-1 start to the season as the Packers refused to offer them any help. Lovie Smith was fired following the game, and his final words as head coach were "Go Pack Go".

December 29, 2013: Packers defeat Bears 33-28
In another game I attended, Aaron Rodgers returned from an injury suffered against the Bears to deliver a last-minute dagger on a 4th-and-long to Randall Cobb to eliminate the Bears once again.

December 31, 2017- MLBPPWORLD Fantasy Championship: Cool Brees defeats Jakku Scavengers 209.5-186
The Scavengers lost a 31-point lead in the second round of the championship due to legendary performances from Alvin Kamara and Dion Lewis. An Alvin Kamara kickoff return touchdown was the iconic play as it gave Cool Brees 12 points due to them having both Kamara and the Saints defense.

September 9, 2018: Packers defeat Bears 24-23
Aaron Rodgers connects with Randall Cobb one more time to ruin Khalil Mack and Matt Nagy's debut, costing the Bears a chance at a first-round bye and leading to the final submission.

January 6, 2019: Eagles defeat Bears 16-15
The Bears nearly pulled off a thrilling victory in a sloppy game but Cody Parkey drilled the goal-post for the 6th time in the season, forcing the Bears into hibernation.

September 10, 2016: Illinois State defeats Northwestern 9-7
Northwestern lost their second consecutive game to start the 2016 season, effectively wasting what was, in my opinion, the best roster in school history.

Baseball:
September 19-October 1, 2012: White Sox blow 3-game division lead in two weeks.
The White Sox choked away a late division lead and entered a dark period of directionless baseball before finally committing to a rebuild after the 2016 season.

October 2, 2013- AL Wild Card Game: Rays defeat Indians 4-0
The Indians suffered the first of many playoff defeats as a result of grounding into three double plays with runners in scoring position.

November 2, 2016- World Series: Cubs defeat Indians 8-7
After getting out to an unlikely 3-1 series lead, the Indians capitulated in the final three games, culminating in an epic Game 7 loss that they are yet to recover from.

October 11, 2017- ALDS: Yankees defeat Indians 5-2
The 102-win Indians inexplicably squandered a 2-0 series lead with three brutal performances and collapse from ace pitcher Corey Kluber.

September 30, 2020- AL Wild Card Series: Yankees defeat Indians 10-9.
The Indians blew two leads, including one in the ninth inning, for their second playoff elimination to the Yankees in four years. The game was also likely Francisco Lindor's final game with the team.

Basketball:
April 28, 2012- Eastern Conference Quarterfinals: Bulls defeat 76ers 103-91
The Bulls took a 1-0 series lead, but Derrick Rose tore his ACL in garbage time and created one of the greatest what-if scenarios in NBA history.

May 10, 2015- Eastern Conference Semifinals: Cavaliers defeat Bulls 86-84
The Bulls were on the brink of a 3-1 series lead against a banged-up Cavaliers team, but after the refs failed to call a technical foul on Cavaliers coach David Blatt for calling a timeout when the team did not have any remaining, Lebron James drained a buzzer beater in the face of defensive anchor Jimmy Butler.

April 26, 2017- Eastern Conference Quarterfinals: Celtics defeat Bulls 108-97
After taking a 2-0 series lead thanks to otherworldly play from Jimmy Butler and Rajon Rondo, the Bulls squandered a chance at a remarkable upset due to a hand injury suffered by Rondo. They had a chance to take a pivotal 3-2 lead by taking a 2-point lead into the final quarter, but they could not close. Jimmy Butler was traded the following offseason.

Soccer:
April 27, 2014- Premier League: Chelsea defeats Liverpool 2-0
Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard slipped on a Chelsea attack to allow an easy goal, effectively ending Liverpool's chances at a first ever Premier League title.

July 1, 2014- World Cup Round of 16: Belgium defeats United States 2-1
After a legendary performance from Tim Howard, the United States failed to defeat a European superpower thanks to a brutal 90th mintue miss from Chris Wondolowski. They have not played a World Cup game since.

October 10, 2017- World Cup CONCACAF Qualifier: Trinidad and Tobago defeats United States 2-1
The United States missed out on the 2018 World Cup with an inexplicable loss to Trinidad and Tobago.

May 26, 2018- Champions League Final: Real Madrid defeats Liverpool 3-1
Liverpool failed to win their sixth Champions League final as a result of two horrendous errors from goalkeeper Loris Karius.

General:
March 12, 2020: All major sports leagues are suspended indefinitely due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Post your heartbreaks in the thread below:

BrewersFuzz wrote:
AND THEN IN A SHOCKING TURN OF EVENTS CLEVELAND BLOWS THE 3-1 LEAD THIS TIME

Last edited by GoTwins24 on Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Ultimate Sports Heartbreak Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:55 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Tigers
Lions:

Entire franchise history, but mostly the playoff game vs. Dallas and the Rodgers Hail Mary.

Tigers:

2006 World Series (Against 83-win Cardinals)

2009 Al Central Game 163 (Inge got hit by that pitch)

2012 World Series (We got penalized for being too good in the ALCS, should've let the Yanks win a couple)

2013 ALCS (Papi slam)

2014 loss to Delmon Young

2016 choke vs. 68-93 Braves to miss out on last chance at a World Series with the Cabrera/Verlander teams (this is a largely forgotten moment, but we *(censored)* lost 1-0 to the Braves with Verlander on the bump on the last day of the season)

Trading Verlander, seeing two of my other favorites of all time, Scherzer and J.D. Martinez, go on to bigger and better things to definitely and probably being remembered for different teams, respectively.

Red Wings:

2011 Game 7 vs. San Jose

2013 Game 7 vs. Chicago

Pistons:

2005 Game 7 loss to Spurs in Finals'

2006 ECF loss to Miami

2007 ECF loss to LeBron

2008 ECF loss to Boston

Stopped following around 2010, picked back up again the last two years but they're just mediocre so no heartbreak.

University of Michigan:

Every game vs. Ohio State since I was like ten (football)

2013 NCAA title loss to [redacted] (basketball)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:17 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Athletics
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
I’m glad to play a part in your ultimate sports heartbreak GoTwins.

As for mine I think it’s pretty obvious, it includes Stefon Diggs and Case Keemun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2017 and 2018 MLBPPW Fantasy Football League Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:05 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Mets
Console '08: Wii and DS
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
All right, here we go:

Mets (in my lifetime)

- 2000 WS. I was technically alive for this so I will count that

- 2006 NLCS. After a summer of unbelievable baseball at Shea the Mets lost half of their rotation before the start of the playoffs, and lost in 7 games to an underdog Cardinals team. This was the first Met team I followed religiously, so it was gut-wrenching to watch the ninth inning of Game 2, where Billy Wagner gave up a bomb to So Taguchi (who?) and then of course the ninth of inning of Game 7, where after the only good start of Ollie Perez's Mets career, and the greatest catch ever made in baseball history, Aaron Heilman gave up the go-ahead homer to Yadier Molina and Carlos Beltran struck out looking with the bases loaded to end the season. It wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't for what happened the seasons after that.
detroittigers15 wrote:
2006 World Series (Against 83-win Cardinals)
Also, there's no doubt in my mind the Mets would've easily swept that '06 Tigers team.

- September 30, 2007. The Mets had been cruising all year long in 2007, Pedro Martinez was coming back from injury, David Wright was on his way to an MVP and then the team completely forgot how to play baseball in September. The Phillies swept the Mets from 9/14-9/16 but the Mets were still up 3.5 with 14 games left, 6 of which came against the 4th place Nats (who took 5 of 6, including an agonizing sweep at Shea in the final week of the season) and 7 against the 5th place Marlins, who took 2 of the final 3 games of the year to stun the Mets and complete the worst collapse in baseball history. On September 30th, HOF'er Tom Glavine gave up 7 runs in the first inning of Game 162 before most fans took their seats at Shea, and the season where we were supposed to win the World Series was over just like that.

- September 28, 2008. After the shocking '07 collapse, the Mets went out and got Johan Santana to shore up the rotation, and the lineup still had its main pieces, and the team was primed for another playoff run. After a slow start that led to Willie Randolph's firing, the team picked it up in August until Wagner got hurt, and then the bullpen fell apart without him. If all the games played by the Mets ended after the 8th inning the team in '08 would have won the NL East by 12 games. Despite Carlos Delgado's heroics in the final month of the year, the bullpen failed to hold most leads (seen later in that video), and the Mets lost the NL East for good. This year, though, they still had a chance for the Wild Card. Eventually, it all came down, for the second straight year, to a 3 game series at Shea against the Florida Marlins. After a loss on Friday night, Santana pitched a complete game three-hit shutout on three days' rest on Saturday to keep the Mets' chances alive heading into Sunday. In the final game at Shea, the horrible Scott Schoeneweis and the dreadful Luis Ayala surrendered back-to-back homers in the 8th, and after Ryan Church's fly ball died at the warning track in the bottom of the 9th, the Marlins had beaten the Mets 4-2, ending the Mets' season on the last day of the year for the second straight season.

- 2009 through 2014. Heading into a new ballpark, Citi Field, after '08, the Mets decided to bolster the bullpen by bringing in J.J. Putz and Francisco Rodriguez. Instead of at least competing through the end of September, the Mets completely fell apart, as my heroes of days past (Delgado, Beltran, Reyes, Wright, Santana, and John Maine) and villains (Luis Castillo, Perez, among others) all fell victim to injuries that cost them most of the lost season. This, combined with the revelation that the team's unfit owners, the Wilpons, had been involved in Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme ultimately led to drawn-out rebuilding process that saw Reyes leave. Eventually by the end of 2014, the Mets had made Wright the captain, signed role players such as Curtis Granderson and Bartolo Colon, and had developed a young core of semi-talented players (Daniel Murphy, Lucas Duda, Travis d'Arnaud) to go along with a talented pitching rotation (Harvey, deGrom, Zack Wheeler, Noah Syndergaard, and Steven Matz). They appeared to be ready for a run of contention again.

- 2015 WS. And contend they did, as they took the NL East in 2015. After losing Wheeler and Wright to injuries early in the year, the Mets rode an 11 game winning streak in April all the way to somehow being alive in July, mostly because of Harvey and deGrom having great seasons, and Syndergaard and Matz coming up successfully. Thanks to some key trades, most notably acquiring Yoenis Cespedes, the Mets came alive in August as Cespedes mashed dingers at a record pace, the Nats came into town and got swept, and Wright returned from his injury to help the Mets take the division crown (that was basically sealed for good when the Mets swept the Nats again, this time in D.C. in early September). After getting past the Dodgers and Cubs, the Mets faced off against the Royals in the Fall Classic. In Game 1, Jeurys Familia gave up the game-tying home run to Alex Gordon in the bottom of the ninth on a quick pitch, and then the Mets lost in the bottom of the 14th. After a Game 3 win, in which Wright and Granderson homered (and I attended), the Mets were down 2-1 in the series and had a chance to get back in it. But Daniel Murphy's error in game 4 gave the Royals a 3-1 chokehold on the series, and Terry Collins not removing Matt Harvey to start the ninth of Game 5, along with Duda's throw (which we don't talk about) and a 5-run 12th inning let the Royals win the World Series on the Mets' home field. But this was just the start of something big. Right?

- 2016 NL WC. 2016 was a weird year for the Mets. It started off great, as around the end of May they were first in the division and cruising like everyone thought they would. But then David Wright died. Michael Conforto forgot how to hit a baseball. 3/5 of the rotation (Harvey, Matz, deGrom) went down with season-ending injuries. Zack Wheeler didn't return from his injury. Reyes came back, but he was washed up, a horrible human being, and only returned because the Rockies were paying most of his salary. Cespedes got hurt, Jay Bruce was a horrible trade deadline acquisition, and the Mets fell below .500 by mid-August. But then Cespedes returned, and for the second straight season carried the Mets into the playoffs behind his powerful bat. Even without most of their dominant young arms, what remained of the rotation held in there, as Syndergaard and the ageless Colon pitched full seasons, and rookies Seth Lugo and Robert Gsellman delievered strong performances to help the Mets clinch home-field advantage in the Wild Card game, which I also attended. They faced the Giants, and their ace Madison Bumgarner squared off against Syndergaard. Both offenses failed to muster anything through 8 innings. Then, in the top of the ninth, Familia allowed a three-run homer to Conor Gillaspie (who?) that clinched the game for the Giants. The Mets went down 1-2-3 in the ninth, ending their season, and as of now, their days of contending.

- 2017 to present. Injuries ravaged the Mets in both 2017 and 2018. Wright missed all of both years before retiring after doctors told him his neck and back conditions would not improve. He came back for one last start, which was a great night, but it overall was heartbreaking to see the best position player in franchise history have to go out like that, instead of going out on his own terms. He should be a Hall of Famer, but his candidacy will face an uphill climb due to the injuries that befell him. Other than Wright's emotional return, the team has not provided any enjoyable moments since the start of 2017. Collins and Sandy Alderson stepped down. Harvey's downfall from ace to disgrace continued, and was eventually traded away by the organization after refusing a demotion. Cespedes has spent more time off the field than on it, thanks to injuries that have been horribly mismanaged by the team's training staff. It's heartbreaking to see the Mets reverting back to being so bad so fast. If there's anything good that's come out of this recently, it's that the rotation was revived in 2018, as Syndergaard, Wheeler, and Matz gave the Mets full, good seasons, and deGrom became the best pitcher in all of baseball on his way to a Cy Young. Still though, there are a lot of uncertainties surrounding the team for 2019 and beyond thanks to the Wilpons' ownership. Honestly, I can only expect the worst, so I don't get let down.

As for other my other sports teams, I can't say they've broke my heart as much as the Mets have over the years. The Giants have given me two super bowl runs in my lifetime, so I can't complain about them. Although, the 2015 season was pretty painful. They lost 6 games in which they held leads or were tied within the final 2 minutes of them. That was also the last good year of Eli Manning, so maybe they could've gone on another SB run, but I digress. I don't follow basketball or hockey much, which is good because the Knicks suck and the Rangers can't win the big one. So yeah. Just a lot of Mets heartbreak which I had to vent on you guys. And believe me, there was a lot more I could have said.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:09 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
Oakland Athletics

2006 ALCS vs Detroit Game 4 Magglio Ordonez...

2012 ALDS Vs Detroit Game 5 Justin Verlander....

2014 WC vs Royals Salvador Perez...

2018 WC vs Yankees Aaron Judge...

San Francisco 49ers

1998 Divisional Round vs Atlanta Poor Garrison Hearst

2001 WC Round vs Green Bay
2002 Divisional Round vs Tampa Bay oh so close Maruccis last game for SF
2009 week 13 and week 15 vs Seattle and Philadephia finished 8-8 loss to Eagles eliminated them from play offs.
2011 NFC Championship vs Giants Kyle Williams fumbles twice.
2012 Super Bowl lost in closing seconds to Baltimore.
2013 NFC Championship Richard Sherman Blows the 49ers Super Bowl dreams. Also Navarro Bowman loses his knee over a fumble.
2014 week 15 vs Seattle again...

.247 is better than .000 if I'm being honest.-BBMan9500

I will always love this place

When there is actually activity again I'll be there!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:45 am 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Favorite Team: Tigers
I second everything dtigers said. Like, all of it.

"Another year older, another year better at Power Pros!" -Me
"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"The Chronicles of Dish's Love Life. I'd read it." -BrewersFuzz
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Twitter: @robtoml_statman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:50 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
- david freese
- tony romo, holder
- One Strike Away

NAPOLI FOR MVP

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

post count doesn't matter

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:55 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Rockies
Console '07: Don't Own
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu
b u m p a l e r t

Rockies:
(not going to include the 07 World Series because I didn't know what baseball was until I moved to Colorado in 08)

2017 NL Wild Card - DBacks 11, Rockies 8
- can i get a *(censored)* Jon Gray

2018 NL West Game 163 - Dodgers 5, Rockies 2
- we were hot, then we shit the bed and got put in the Wild Card

2018 NLDS - all of it
- do i need to say why

Broncos:

Super Bowl 48 - Seahawks 43, Broncos 8
- i got the opportunity of a lifetime to go to NYC to see this game. i was so excited, it was a great trip. i may never go back to NYC for sporting events again.

also the stadium was 90% seahawks fans how the *(censored)* does that happen

2012 AFC Divisional - Ravens 38, Broncos 35
- rahim "the dream" moore

yeah

Avs:

2018 Western Conference First Round
- *(censored)* trashville pk subban is a bitch

Nuggs:

2009 Western Conference Finals
- the nuggs haven't been anything better than mediocre since, maybe this year will turn it around

K O N I S H I
2008 WAR: 9.4
2011 WAR: 11.4
2012 WAR: 13.4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:02 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Queso James wrote:
i may never go back to NYC for sporting events again.
good

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:27 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Well I had another sports heartbreak pretty recently and y’all can easily guess what it was

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:40 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

washed up drew brees throwing a pick on the first drive of OT? sad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:02 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Indians
I have a new addition that covers all of this...

BrewersFuzz wrote:
AND THEN IN A SHOCKING TURN OF EVENTS CLEVELAND BLOWS THE 3-1 LEAD THIS TIME

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:16 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

GoTwins24 wrote:
I have a new addition that covers all of this...

I second this

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~